Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Midrange, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Love

116 vote(s)
    54.0%
  2. Nuetral

77 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. Hate

22 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. I keep hearing many bassplayers love the Mids, others hate em'. IMO I'm not a big fan, I don't use that much mid in my signal but I don't exactly kill them either.

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    When I started playing bass I used to kill all the midrange sound in my amp, and used the "smile EQ", you know what I mean....... few years ago when I started playing in my actual band and after many gigs and some demo recordings I realized that you can´t throw away midrange....... if you want your soung to have a real presence in a mix you need some mids.
    I´d read many times that adding some mids in the 800 Hz range you can get the presence in your sound enough to pass thru a wall off distorted guitars...... and tell ya, it works. How much??? it´s up to you, your needs, style, etc etc etc etc

3. I play entirely flat. Tone comes from the bass itself, and the amp is there to reproduce whatever comes out of the bass.

My RB5 runs in either vintage J mode (both pups dimed, tone dimed, both switches at single coil mode) or occasionally in phake P mode (bridge pup, tone all the way down, switches in series humbucker mode.

4. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    mids are where its at. if you just have the highs and the lows you arent moving the air with the real punch. now dont go just mids. but if you want thick presence than work the mids.

5. It really depends on what kind of tone you are looking for.A good fingerstyle tone can be had by bumping the mids up a bit ,especially for that bridge pickup tone.For a great slap tone try scooping some of the mids out. Mids are key to the way a bass speaks.experiment and find what works for you.
    p e a c e

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Smiley face EQ sounds great in your bedroom, but if you play with loud guitars, nobody will hear you if you scoop the mids.

I play with everything flat, but add 2 or 3db at 800 hz, 4 or 5 db if I'm playing fretless for the mwaah.

7. I think you lose substance when you go the smiley face method - like there is a big hole in your tone. Like the mids !

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Interesting, I see a couple of people vouching for 800 hz, but that's where I usually cut. Just a smidge. I generally give a bump at 400-500 and cut a little bit at 800-1k, and that helps me cut through just fine. I was playing through a 130 watt combo with two screaming half-stack wielding guitar players and actually managed to cut through pretty well. Of course, it's all just a matter of taste, but my point is that low midrange = good. :D

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I generally like to boost the 60hz. :D

10. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I don't like a lot of mids when I'm just practicing,but on those rare occasions when I actually play a gig,I find you get lost without a substantial amount of mids.the mid cut button on my Sunn 1200s is just right for going back and forth between the two.

11. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I generally keep the mids flat on my amp and nearly off on my bass. Not a fan of this end of the spectrum. Mids, to me, sound too unnatural and harsh. I prefer to get definition from my highs.

12. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    In my experience you have to boost the mids to sound 'neutral' in the mix.
    Which frequency range to which extent? This depends very much on the sound of the other instruments - and room acoustics of cause.
    I personally like phat and punchy low mids and try to keep my bandmates out of this range.
    What I do not like is a hollow, (hi-)midrangey sound, but I still don't hesitate to dial in some of those 'bad' mids if necessary.
    Matthias

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I find that if I boost the 200-400hz range it helps give me a punchier sound. I personally don't like the 500-600hz range (too honky for me). Boosting the 800hz range gives me definition and presence.

14. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Denmark
    I find that when boosting the midrange, you get a harsh sound. But when you play with the band, it blends very well and sounds smooth.

Many smiley faced bass players sounds killer alone, but are mudding out when playing in bands.

I vote for midrange :)

15. I have to say that I'm a fan of mids.
    The band I'm in at the moment play covers and they do some Korn songs.
    To get that Fieldy sound I have to turn down my mid and keep the high's and low's to a max, and to tell you the truth I think thats why I hate taking out my mid-range.
    I can't say I'm a Fieldy fan.

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IME, the mids issue is related to they type of music you're playing and the other isntruments in the band, aside from what your ear likes.

Personally, I don't like mids and I could stay scooped when I only played with guitar(s) and drums.

When I got into my first band with multiple vocalists, keyboards, and brass, I was reaching for my mid controls in no time. They were the only way to cut through the mix. Using volume to cut through isn't an option because it ruins the mix, (duh).

17. Midrange is what I emphasize the most.

18. Boo Midrange.

I think it depends on which bass you're using. I have a Bassmman 60, which has mid level and mid frequency controls. I never put either of them past 9 o'clock, but, as Embellisher said, it sounds fine in your room, but, giging is another matter. I noticed though that when I do this, I lose about 25% of the volume. I guess it has something to do with the way our hearing works and such. My Jack Casady played through my amp at 5 and NO midrange at all has to be heard to be believed. Like an upright with frets. I'm still trying to get one of those Yamaha Nathan East parametric EQ boxes, and as far as I can tell from ads and the comments of a few TB
    members, it's a mid scooping device, but very precise. My non-giging status may change soon, keep your fingers crossed.

Mike J.

19. I like to hear EVERYTHING my bass puts out, that's why I play through a system with total HiFi specs. 30-20,000 Hz flat. Then I boost the 150 Hz range a bit, to get the punch needed.

So yes I like mids, but only in combination with crystal clear highs and void deep lows.

20. I usually have the mids as low as you can go, unless I'm playing with shredding guitars and then I'll put some mids into it.