Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Midrange

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    What does the term "scooped midrange" mean?

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    less midrange than bass and treble. On a graphic eq it would look like a smiley face

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Means there's an absence of mids which usually sounds like crap. :bag:

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's a popular tone shape for slappers, and those who want clear piano-like tone from their lower strings. However in practice it often makes upper-register fingerplucked notes disappear in the mix.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Ding!

7. As usual, Ken is EXACT-O-MUNDO!

8. Took the words right out of my mouth. :D

9. In reality, a bass speaker peaks in the midrange, when you "scoop" it, you are actually "flattening" the tone. And so in conclusion:oops: "scooping the mid" is kind of like saying "the sun rises and sets".

...I'll shut up now.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Usually, but not always. I hate mids that are left flat or boosted...now that (to me) sounds like crap. I usually cut the mids (mostly low mids) and high mids are run slightly cut, but not much.

I find mids to just be this terrible honking sound, that competes to much with guitar and just drones on with no real clarity to the overall mix.

Then again I do not play lead bass, never solo and do not play much in the upper registers of the bass to care whether or not they cut through. I can see where those who do play more in the upper registers would want a bit more mid for those notes though.

11. boosting the mids on your bass-amp is essential in every loud rock or metal band. without this you wont be heard (because of the heavy sounding guitars). period.

12. I disagree. Most bass rigs are flat from, say, 200 to, say, 2000 Hz. Which is the midrange.

13. Bass Amplifiers are mostly flat in the midrange, but not speakers unless you're playing through nearfield studio monitors.