Midrangey $350 Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, Sep 8, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, i searched, buit couldnt find anything about a cheap , good, fretless bass, that had ALOT of midrange. Dos anybody know of a around 300 doller bass that has good mids?
  2. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Fender Jazz Standard fretless with the neck pickup rolled back, bridge pickup on full, and pluck back by the bridge. Add mids at the amp if necessary.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, i know about the MIM Fretless Jazz,,,,, but threre HAS to be others?
  4. The MTD Kingston fretless has a really throaty midrange sound to it.
  5. How about a MIJ Fender Jazz unlinned frettless. those are pretty good and you can find them on eBay for around $310. I have one and like it.. I think am going to install some EMG's or get a Retro- J thingy, but maybe not!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. Somewhere between a Stingray and a P bass, to my ears.
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh yeah, i forgot about those buets. how much does a fretless go for? or where could i find out?
  8. MTD Kingstons are ok, cost more and it's a total one trick pony... The fender Jazz has better tonal veriations, being that it has two pickups.
    Good luck!

9. Yeah, but out of the box, you're a whole hell of a lot more likely to have a winner with a Kingston than with a MIM Jazz.
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean Edge fretless, neck pickup rolled off, bridge pickup on full. Midrangey as heck, and there are a lot of tonal variations available with the two humbuckers.

Check out the Essex fretless Jazz also, I'd buy one of those before a MIM Fender just for curiosity's sake. :)
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    What part of the midrange are you looking for, Polly?
  12. Yamaha

I have a BBN4 fretless, which is a discontinued model. I bought it for $249 at the last big MF blowout sale. Other big chains even went as low as $199.

These basses have a truly SINGING high-mid sound; the Fender MIMs tend to have a barkier, more low-mid-oriented tone.

Yamaha still makes very similar models, although I don't remember their current lineup offhand. . .

. . . or you can probably find a used BBN4 dirt-cheap.
  13. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Another vote for Yamaha

Played one in the local musicstore a few days ago and really loved this bass, loved it even more when I heard the price. Has got great playability and sound,... but dislike the looks.

Don't know the exact model but it was a black BB-style body with 3 big ugly knobs on it.

Great bass if you can live with or maybe even like the look of it. Best fretless I have played so far, will get one when I've got the money for it.
  14. the best fretless bass under 300? well....i give you
    RBX 260F

try one...they are wonderful...will try to post a pic of my wonderful RBX 260....try on and you'll see!!!
  15. oh yeah...this baaby has got some midrange...with my RBX i use in a heavy metal setting i can pump out some pretty impressive mids...but im buying and Eden XLT for yet more mids any way this one growls through an ampeg that i tried it with in atlanta:cool:
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thats a good question. I always looked for more of a high mids tone on my fretted, but i won't be pounding the heck out of the fretless with flats with my pick, I'm looking for a great 100Freq. some major growlness, i do like some high mids, but to choose, id go for low mids. but, if possible , i would still like to get some "Twack" out of it. The kingston looks promising.... Just a good allround midrange bass. no lows,,,, no highs... no lows... LOWS,,, LETS GO WITH LOWS FOR NOW! LOW MIDS!