1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mids on the fly

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sas, Apr 21, 2010.

1. sas

sas

Nov 8, 2002
    Vienna, Austria
    I have a Parker Fly (not the Washburn knockoff) that plays gorgeously, and that I can pretty much tweak to the biting upper-midrangy sound I like with this bass- that sound is really quite different from the hi-fi-ish sound these basses are usually known for.
    For those unfamiliar with the electronics of this bass, here's a spec link
    http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fly-bass-4/67701

The upper mid-sculpting is done by suppressing all treble (and mostly the bass) on both PU and piezo (I mostly use the bridge PU only, sometimes along with a tad of piezo blended in).
    A little outboard help goes a long way in tweaking that sound even more to my liking, BUT I wonder if there is a mod that adds a mid boost control to the onboard electronics. I just like to be more independent from tagging boxes along wherever.

Given the available pots assignment and the PU/piezo architecture, the options are probably limited. I would not be averse to a mod requiring drilling in another pot if that solves it, however just swapping out one pot or the other for a stack type would be preferable.

So I guess the questions are, can I swap out just the PU part of the electronics and still keep the piezo blending option? What manufacturer offers such onboard that is compatible with the Fly's layout?
    Or can the onboard electronics stay altogether, adding just that mid boost (preferably switchable frequency, or even sweepable)?

Grateful for any pointers/ideas,
    Alexander

2. sas

sas

Nov 8, 2002
    Vienna, Austria
    ok I'll try this from another angle:

I see several onboard electronics that feature a mid boost, say for instance the Aguilar OBP3. If I swap that for the PU (non-piezo) controls in the Parker Fly, I am obviously missing one pot, since the current configuration only accomodates treble/bass boost in one stack pot.

Would I need to drill in one further pot, or can I get away with laying the new mid-control on one of the other existing pots (there are, besides the mentioned bass/highs stack pot: general volume, PU/piezo blend, PU blend neck/bridge, and another stack pot that carries piezo volume and treble).

That last one, for instance, is rarely of any use to me, since I'd be fine with a set-and forget level for the piezo signal- could I kidnap that and operate the mid control of the PU signal from there?

3. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Any way we can get a picture inside the control cavity?

But generally you can move/remove any control, it just comes down to how hard it will be to do it. Some basses have every pot soldered to a board and can be a real pain to just remove one control (TRB yamahas have one board that all the controls are attached to and its nearly impossible to just remove one).

4. sas

sas

Nov 8, 2002
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks, here are the pics of the cavity and pot configuration. Again, the pot layout is 1.General Vol/2. PU-piezo blend/3. PU balance neck-bridge/4. STACK PU treble bass/5. STACK piezo volume treble
    ParkerElectronics.
    ParkerPots.
    and the question again- can the OPB3 be swapped into this somehow, maybe replacing one or two of the non-stack pots with stacked ones? For instance, reassigning pot 3 to pot 2 stacked, and thus making pot 3 (stacked, too) available for mid control?

Also, looking for a "beefy" sound, are there any alternatives to the Aguilar onboard?

5. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Ok it looks pretty crazy in there. I hate to say it, but a wiring diagram is going to be needed so I can see what controls go to what boards. I can't find squat on google.