Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mids............??????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Obsolex, May 1, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Do the mids add the growl? If so, why do so many pros/musicisians always tell you to cut them and stuff like that? I don't really understand... _-soto-_

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yep, the mids add the growl. If someone tells you to cut your mids, it's probably because they want you to dissapear in the mix. ;)

3. Who told ya to cut the mids?

I personally love every sound in every frequency that a well played and correctly set up bass may produce.

It would be interesting if you could list the names of the pros you meant.
    Commonly, you don't hear too much mid freqs on most pop, rithym (sp?) n blues, ballad and soft music recordings and performances.

4. Fieldy?

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to be heard either...

5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Fieldly's not a bassist... He's a really bad drummer :):p , _-soto-_

6. Lo-mids add growl. Hi-mids, in my opinion, just make your tone sound awful.

7. Not for my ears.. Unless you cut too much other frequencies, and your strings are dead or your frets produce too much buzz and you play with a pick.. But how 'bout , non of the above, plus ,maybe some distortion.. or a proper technique??
    I love all the sounds of bass in every frequencies, but properly handled.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "Midrange" covers a wide band of frequencies. That's why many amps will have "low mid" and "high mid" or semi-parametric (you can a choose the center frequency) midrange controls.

Most folks would consider anything form about 200 Hz to 2000 Hz to be midrange. Too much at 800 Hz makes for a nasal, scratchy sound. Boost around 250 and you get a bit fat, thick thing happening.

The "old school" bass tone up to say about 1980 often had a LOT of midrange, especially low mids. Then it became popular to "scoop out" large parts of the midrange. This is what the "contour" and "enhance" contorls on modern amps usually do. By reducing mids it makes the lows sound bigger and the highs snappier. It also removes a lot of fret noise when slapping. However, since human ears are most sensitive to midrange it makes the bass guitar easily buried in the mix unless you have a lot of power behind your speaker.

This is one reason why everyone used 50-100 watt amps in the 1960s and today noone blinks at using 2000 watts.

9. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Hmmmmm. High Mid, Low Mid, Midrange? My amp only has Mid on it because it is an SWR LA-15 piece of ****. _-soto-_

10. LOL.. doesn't it have a graphic eq?

11. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    From SWR (La-15 site: SWR La-15)
    FEATURES
    Basic SWR Preamp
    Bass Control
    Midrange Control
    Treble Control
    Headphone Jack
    Tuner Out Jack
    Mix In Jack

DESCRIPTION
    100 watt entry level combo amplifier.
    Yeah, a piece ha... _-soto-_

12. bass_evangelist

bass_evangelist

May 16, 2002
    Turning up mids really helps cut through in a mix. Scooping mids can get a more snappy, idealized slap tone with lots of attack. Having a lot of lows isn't necessarily a good thing. Too many lows sound muddy and don't cut through well in a mix. Mids and low mids add warmth and growl. Too many mids make a bass lose all of it's presence and articulation, so don't overdo it.

13. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    The SWR LA-15 is a piece of _ _ _ _!!! For some good mid control I have been using a friends Ampeg 100 amp... It has High Mid adjust and Low Mid adjust. I used it in practice last night... It has a good GROWL!!! :D

peace