Midtown Manhattan bass/guitar shops

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FungusHumungous, Dec 29, 2003.

1. So here's the deal
    On the 8th one of my High School classes is going into the city to visit the Metropolitan Music of Fine Art for the Umpteenth time... and we'll have 3 hours to either ice skate at Rockefeller Center or spend the 3 hours roaming a (suggested) ten block radius of Rockefeller(5th and between 52nd and 62nd).
    So my good friend and partner in musical crime(guitar player) want to spend the hours hopping a few guitar/bass music shops.

Any suggestions for shops in this region we could shop at?
    We're willing to go out of the 10 block radius if it means getting to a good shop, but not too far(We both have poor sense of direction).

Thanks for all the suggestions I hope to see :)
  2. 48th St. just off 7th Avenue has Sam Ash, Manny's, Rudy's, and one or two others whose names I can't recall at the moment. These stores are 3 blocks from Rock Center.

Good luck.

3. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    48th St. and broadway. "Music row" has several stores for you to check out. I would say Rudy's and Manny's music bass departments as having the best selection on that block.

If you are feeling a little brave, you can head down to Chelsea 2nd Hand Guitars on 220 W 23rd & 2nd ave. They usually have some cool vintage basses.

A Guitar Center also opened up in Union Square.
    (take the N or the R train to 14th St. Station(union square)

But for your best bet, you should stick to 48th.
  4. Isn't Fodera also down on musicians row ?
  5. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Fodera is in Brooklyn.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    N.Y. Guitar&Bass Boutique
    746 9th ave at 50th street. (small shop but Jimmy Coppolo formally of Rudy's 48th st is the best!)

Also 30th street Guitars off of 8th ave on 30th street.
  7. Ditto to what you say about Jimmy Coppolo, pyrohr.
    He did the fret job and put a new nut on my Yamaha 5 string.

Great work.

Mike ;)
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Today I went to 30th street guitars at lunch time and woo hoo did they have some goodies upstairs! A must see if you got time, including a 01 MIA jazz bass in blue used for $700 bucks! Nice bass and play's great, just needs a little setup and thats it!
  9. Thanks guys

Keep them coming

Happy new year!