1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Might As Well Face It, I'm Addicted To Chromes!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gjbassist, Nov 4, 2013.

1. I started using D' Addario Chromes a little over a year ago and they have become my favorite strings! I currently have them on three of five basses and have another set cut for my OLP Stingray copy that I switch out with the rounds when I want a less aggressive tone. I just love the warm mellow tone without being too dull sounding. I also love the way they feel. Playing on them seems almost effortless. I have never had one type of string that I liked as much as these.

Who else loves Chromes?

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm a big fan of Chromes on most any bass, but especially P and J variants. Always a great sound with a lot of fundamental that will work. I'm also a fan of the D'addario's Half Rounds, which really bridge the gap between rounds and flats.

But back to Chromes, I tell kids all the time who have these dull, dead roundwound strings on their bass that they should save their money, invest in set of Chromes, and then they won't have to worry about changing dead strings every again. Great product!

3. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    Love 'em on J's, hate 'em on P's. Chromes really compensate for the scooped mids typical of a J with both pickups on full, but IMO those same mids are overkill for a P which is already mid-heavy.

4. JPMo

JPMo

Dec 27, 2010
    Canton, Ga
    Have chromes on my Pro-Tone Precision V. They're still breaking in but I like them so far. I have been thinking about putting them on my VM Jazz so I'm glad you guys like them there but sunbeams work well on it

5. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have Chromes on three of my stage basses and run black beauties on the others (2). I can literally cover just about everything with two basses: either Alembic or Lightwave 5 strings, one with Chromes and one with BB's.

6. SkulliesBass

SkulliesBass Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    Big Chromes fan here. I have them on both of my Precisions, a 51 Reissue and an American Standard. The strings are so easy to play and sound incredible. I just installed a Hipshot Supertone Bridge and a set of Chromes on my Gibson Midtown. The feel and tone of that combo is just kicking my butt. My Fenders haven't been out of their cases since.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I quit using flats except on my violin basses, but Chromes were always my favorite choice as well, except for the Realistic violin bass, which sports Labellas.

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I love Chromes, but I think the new Fender flats are almost the same string- so I guess I love them too!

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The Fender flats are not even close to the same string as Chromes. The Fender flats have:

Different width wrap wire
    Different alloy wrap wire
    Wrap is wound the opposite direction
    The core is different
    Fenders have midrange growl @ 600 Hz; Chromes have initial top end zing that mellows out to low end thump @ 200 Hz.

That said, and even though the Fenders are my favorite flats for my custom half-fanned custom P/J, the midrange growl does not work with basses that have a different midrange resonance than an alder P-bass. So for those basses, the Chromes are really good.

10. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I'm waiting on my order of chromes as we speak... takes soooo long to ship **** over here. I've always played rounds all my bass playing life (some 20 years give or take). But now I feel myself attracted to the tone found in 1:50 of the youtube vid "garth fielding and chromes". And the idea of finding a big sonic space without fighting the two guitars in my band is very interesting.

11. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've recently become a fan. The first set I had I put on an Ibanez SR700. It played great but sounded woody - heading in the direction of an upright bass which isn't where I wanted to go. I had bought the Chromes because I'd heard that they were the brightest of the flats so that was my intended direction. Later I put a set on a Peavey P bass clone and really love that combo a lot. Very Motown-ish. That's the sound I had in mind and they nail that. That bass gets lots of play now.

12. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    These are the one set of strings i just cant fall in love with.
    Ive given them 3 chances.
    I love the feel
    I love the tension
    I love the volume balance from string to string
    But i just dont like the hi mid and top end zing from them.
    A fellow tber a few years back sold me a 5 year old set of chromes that were absolutely amazing.
    But they take soooo long to break in.

13. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I've used them on my main basses for close to 2 years now, and I love them! I sometimes miss the pingy high-end from roundwounds, but the mids and lows you get from Chromes more than makes up for it. Rounds sound pretty scooped to my ears now.

14. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    All this talk about flats got me to take the GHS Boomers off both my J and P, and go back to Chromes and LaBella 760FL's respectively. Back to enjoying the thump for a while!

15. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I'm right there with you. I've been on a big Chromes kick in the past year. Six of my basses are strung with them and I know I'm going to add more. Loving the Chromes!

16. This is exactly my experience with Chromes. Nice strings, but just too bright & zingy for my tastes.

I've settled on GHS Precision flats. They have the smooth fat tone that I'm after.

17. iunno

iunno

Dec 16, 2010
    I just got a set of Chromes myself, I really like them, the bottom end is so much better than the rounds I've tried, it's much more defined and controlled. I was surprised at how bright they were, they have more top end than the Prosteels on my other bass.

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I can understand if folks feel this way, but the thing I like about Chromes is that they age much better than other flats to me. Chromes mellow out and lose a lot of that zing over time but don't wind up sounding ultra dead like many flats do. You really have to give them some time to develop that patina.

19. Gravy4001

Gravy4001

Jan 9, 2012
    Connecticut
    More Chrome love here! Finally put a set on my 2011 Am.Std P just yesterday, thru-body. Right away they sound like a nice well-behaved broken in set of rounds. I'm trying for a more aggressive sound, with a pick, but also with the long-lasting attribute of flats. We'll see how they sound live tomorrow. They replace a set of LaBella 760FL that were very nice but just got a little too dead for my purposes after 2 years.

Also, love the higher tension of the .105 Chromes. Was a little worried from write-ups here but for me it's perfect.

20. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    Yes I have put the chromes back on,but this time on my walnut satin SUB.it has been two full days and there still on,I even tweaked the neck & lowered the action for them to stay for some time,but I will decide this Sunday,playing twice when I here feedback from the moles I have planted in different parts of the room if they like the way they sound & cut then they will stay.
    I have had the chromes for about 9 months with lots of playing them drowning them in finger ease taking them off & on multiple times there starting to feel pretty good under my fingers.