Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Might as well say howdy...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Formula, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    hey guys...figured i might as well announce my arrival and check in.

name's wes.

I currently play on an as-yet unidentified late-60's-ish gibson family heirloom, backed up by a crappy zoom pedal i bought off of one of my guitarists. Looking to add a second set of strings to the rack soon... the poor gib is taking a beating at my weekly "gig" (church contemporary band-lots of kids who like to touch guitars).

which reminds me...anybody know of any good luthiers in the southeast, preferably as close to south carolina as possible?

anyway, i love the bass, cars, and girls...in close to that order.

i look forward to spending some time around here :D

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, welcome home.

This place is the best place out there for info gathering and sharing. I think you will like it here!

Also, kudos for posting in the right part of the forum right off the bat!!!

3. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    lol, yeah i may be a noob around here but i'm no stranger to car forums, which all run off of virtually the exact same format.

p.s. here's the only shot i have of my bass right now, lol...showing off the beautiful new addition after one particularly painful set.

i'll get more tomorrow...

might as well throw in a shot of my car too, since that's my other money pit/baby.

Attached Files:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey dude....Welcome aboard!! You'll find plenty of car and bass chat around here.

-Mike

5. Welcome brother

6. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    bass pics, as promised.

any guesses as to what the heck it is?

Attached Files:

7. I like it, I dig EBs. What year is it and how does it sound?

8. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    to tell you the truth, i do not know...it was my grandfather's bass, and was sold to my uncle for a dollar or something, and he gave it to my dad, and my dad is "loaning it to me".

im gonna guess mid-60's, but i've got no proof to back it up...

sounds wicked though. real clean, kinda jazzy sound.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Wes rhymes with Les!

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It looks like a Gibson EB-0. Nice stuff!

11. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    lol indeed it does! if i ever switch to guitar i may have to change my last name to paul, just to watch people do a double take...

glad you guys like my wares...all i know is when i take it to the local shop all the guys flip out at it. i never thought it was anything special, just sat in various closets for years.

12. Seriously, when you get another bass, still take care of your EB, its great.

13. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    oh yes, i def will. too much sentimental value for me to not baby it. i feel so bad gigging it as it is...

im still pretty new to basses (only been playing two years or so)...am i right in assuming this thing is worth some nice coin? i saw one the last time i went to GC in atlanta, that looked like the same bass, just more beat up, for like 2500 bucks. but like i said i dont know anything for sure.

i'll never sell it in a million years, but if i'm sitting on a mint like that im gonna be a very happy little man.