Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Might be getting a Lightwave.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by digidealaybb404, Sep 2, 2005.

1. so my dad has been talking about ebay, and i told about how i found a really nice lightwave bass on ebay. and ofcourse he didnt know what they were so i explanied how they worked, he got really intrested. so then we get home he tells me to show him the bass and then puts a bid on the thing. :D

2. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Link? And that's some nice news.

3. Dont have the link right now. my dad has it. it doesnt come with strings so what kind of string would be good for it. it is fretless.

4. also are there people on here that own one. because if i get one i would have some questions about setting it up and everything.

5. The beauty of lightwave basses is it that you can virtually any kind of string on it, so your options are really unlimited. Nylon, SS, Nickel, Tapewound, Rounds, Flats, whatever you please.

6. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I bought one on ebay two weeks ago. I like it very much. I restrung it with LaBella nylon flats and, at least so far, it's great. I won't have a chance to gig with it until the end of the month, but it plays well, sets up easily, sounds good, was relatively inexpensive.

Interestingly, there's two companies. The "Lightwave" people who make the pickups aren't the "Lightwave" people who make the basses. I ended up talking to both of them and they were both super. I kinda wonder if the bass people aren't getting out of the business, although they aren't saying that. But I think the pickup people would support the bass if something came up.

My feeling is, in the worst case, that I'll yank the pickup off of the bass and make a parts bass out of it. Not too long ago, you could buy the pickup alone for a little less than what I paid for the whole bass. But, so far, I really like the bass. The neck is absolutely flat, relatively thin. The fit and finish are both excellent (I've got an opaque black one). The rap against the older Lightwave basses was something about the neck warping, but supposedly that's been dealt with in the newer ones.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Kelly - is your fretted or fretless? I just bought a used fretted four here at TB, which should arrive next week. I'm planning the same LaBellas on mine, too.

8. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Fretless. Shouldn't make that much difference, though. The LaBellas had quite a bit more tension than the Boomers it came with, but the adjustment was pretty simple. I didn't need to change the nut.

9. kelly how the was the factory set-up because it is one from the factory.

10. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Good. When I changed the strings after a couple of days (it comes with GHS roundwound Boomers, .045 to .105), I had to raise the G, and lower each of the others. The neck is dead flat. The adjustment is a breeze -- it's a well-designed little mechanism. I haven't tried to adjust the lasers yet; I'll probably get to it this week sometime. (I don't even really know that I need to, but we'll see.) It's very well-made, seems to me.

11. i have some questions about setting it up and everything. can you pm me a email address, and a aim sn if u have one.

12. well i got it. i just need to work out paying for the thing.

13. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I bought one (a Saber SA-5 fretless) off of ebay as well a little over a month ago. Here's a pic of it next to my Cirrus:

[​IMG]

Like Kelly Coyle, I restrung mine with Labella tapewounds as well. It's an extremely lightweight bass, I'd estimate around 7lbs. Mine has a very strong bass response (much more than my Cirrus), but it's also much harder to tame, especially with the piezo dialed in (which you need if you want any definition and high end). The piezo tends to make the entire bass sensitive to taps, rubs, etc. so you need to be careful when you have it dialed in. The reward however is a farily close approximation of an upright.

Here's a short clip I recorded of it direct to the board (all controls flat):
    Lightwave Saber SA-5 Fretless Sample

Peace,

- Ugly.

14. Very nice! I love the look of it too. What do these basses run for? I'm liking the Lightwave more and more!

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd recommend TI Jazz Flats.

16. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I bought mine for a little less than $600 from someone who had purchased it direct from Lightwave Music only a month before, but just couldn't get used to it.. Lightwave Music has been selling them direct via ebay (do a search for "Lightwave Bass").

The Classica (CA) series start at $645 (4 string, black body) and go up to $820 (5 string, quilt top)

The Saber (SA) series start at $670 (4 string, black body) and go up to $880 (5 string, quilt top). Last time I looked it appears they've run out of SA five strings though.

You can also find used ones being sold on ebay most of the time. One thing to keep an eye out for though... There were two runs of these basses. The first was a prototype (2003) run. These basses are a bit "rougher around the edges" than the 2004 (2nd run) basses. One of the ways you can tell if it's a prototype is to look at the pocket where the neck joins the body. The first run basses have the pocket extension on the "B" & "E" string side of the body. The 2nd run has the neck pocket reversed (as you see from the picture of my bass above). There were a number of improvements in the 2nd run basses, which you can find out about via this thread on the forums over at www.lightwave-music.com.

EDIT: Within the past few weeks or so, Lightwave Music has been adding this statement to all of it's ebay sales of Lightwave basses...

"Ebay Sales Are Coming To An End!

Final Inventory Available!

The Next Run Will Only Be Available Through Dealers At Retail Pricing.
    "

- Ugly.

17. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Are you sure about that? I know there there have been two companies setup, www.lightwave-systems.com (where the pickups are marketed), and www.lightwave-music.com (where the basses are marketed), but it was my understanding that both companies are owned and managed by Chris Willcox (the developer of the lightwave technology), along with several partners.

As far as them getting out of the business, their recent ebay auctions claim that they're next run of basses will be sold via retailers. But I wouldn't be too surprised if they gave up on the basses and just focused on selling the pickups. When the 2004 run of basses came out, a quilt-top fretless (ebony board) SA-5 was priced at close to $1600. As you can see from their current ebay auctions, they've had to cut their prices almost in half to unload the remainder of their inventory.

I think the lightwave system is an incredible innovation and it has it's nitch (I certainly love mine), but there was no way it was going to replace traditional pickup-based systems for the masses, even with their supposed shortcomings.

It kind of reminds me of a story a teacher once told me in high school (never was able to find out if this was actually true or not). Supposedly the process in which catchup is made results in the catchup being burnt. At some point the F. & J. Heinz Company figured out a way to make the catchup without burning it and released their new formula to a test group. Turned out, they didn't like it. It seems that the "burnt taste" had become the flavor we expect from our catchup.

- Ugly.

- Ugly.

18. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    It was quite clear in my phone conversation that there's little contact between California and Ohio. As far as I can tell, Ohio is actually run by exactly one person, Steve something. Nice guy. The guy in CA, I don't remember his name, made it sound like they just sold pickups, the Ohio guys being some of the people they sold pickups to.

Of course, I could have it wrong.

19. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    The only downside to the nylon-coated strings I've found so far is the sensation of playing a huge ukulele. But I play the little ones, so it doesn't bug me that much.