Might buy a guit*r, should I?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Figjam, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im questioning buying a guitar on ebay. I dont have much money at all. Im looking at getting a guitar for pretty cheap ($75 max).. Its a guitar from the 80's and im not gonna mention what kind yet, for fear of a Tber snatching it from me :p It sold for around $200-$250 i think back in the late 80's Its a decent guitar... not great but all i need. The reason i would buy it is for songwriting purposes only. Im not very good at guitar but occasionally i think of an awesome riff and bang out a song from it. Usually i have a Squier for this reason but the owner (i been borrowing it) wants it back. Im questioning whether or not its worth spending the little money i have on a guitar. Or should i screw it and just keep my 75 bucks for strings or something.
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Without offering advice as to whether you should spend your $75 on this particular guitar (can't 'cause we don't know what it is! :D ), I've always felt that becoming competent at other instruments will make you a better bass player and overall musician. Knowing how to play the drums, guitar, keyboard, mandolin, banjo, woodwinds, horns, etc. will not only give you a broader musican bass from which you can draw inspiration, but it will also make you understand how your bass parts fit with and interact with all of the other players you're playing with.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree. I play drums dayly now and i tihnk it helps my timing on bass. (they arent my drums, they are my drummers/friends but they live at my house so why not play them?) and i play guitar occasionally, its quite different than bass but its not too bad. I cant solo or anything, but im decent at bar chords and such.
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Of course you have the freedom to do whatever you want.

But I will be at your door with torches and a murderous, unruly mob the moment the UPS man drops that demon instrument on your door stoop.

Have a nice day.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Go for it! Just don't forsake the low end.:)
  6. For sure dude! I love playing guitar as well as bass, I hate to limit myself to one thing and say everything else is worthless and a waste of my time.
  7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Buy a guitar.
    The guitar is not the problem, its the amp. I have been playing Ele Guitar for almost a year now with out an amp. But in june, I am getting my new guitar amp for my birthday. :)
  8. You can run your guitar through a bass amp. Just turn down the EQ and don't play it super loud.
  9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I don't know what EQ is but the higher notes sound like poopy on a bass amp. Well I guess it doesn't help that I have a crappy bass amp in the first place.
  10. EQ is like Mids, Lows and Highs
  11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I own 3.

I think that when you are as proficient as your guitar
    player on guitar, you will also be a better bass player.

My analogy goes back to high school, when I used to
    run distance events. I worked out for CC, the Mile, 800,
    3000, 1500, 3000 steeplechase and the 400, my main event.
    I also used to work out with the sprinters until I got as fast
    as them. As well as doing my regular stuff.

So know the guitar, the piano, and the rhythm and the horn
    section, and use the musical knowledge to be a
    better musician. Just as fast, just as strong, maybe even
  12. I don't wanna come across as the dissenting viewpoint, but I recently considered the same thing. I started out on guitar, but have been seriously playing bass for the past four or five years. I've been thinking about picking up guitar again lately, since in my new project I've been taking a more up-front role as well as for songwriting.

I ended up buying a Squier Bronco and am having it strung and set up as a piccolo bass. It's a lot of fun, and it'll be interesting to take to jams and stuff...Chords are a lot easier to play, and sound interesting on this bass.

Uh, what was my point? Do what make you happy, but like Embellisher said, don't forget about us down here on the f clef!! :hyper:
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well basically ive decided to sit back, relax, and wait for a killer deal, otherwise, dont rush it. Im not going to spend more than i had planned, because i dont need one THAT bad. Im really bad at impulse buying so maybe if i wait a week or two and still want one, then i can get one.
  14. I bought an acoustic guitar, i hated it, biggest waste of money I ever did see. It sounds like you know that you actually enjoy playing guitar, so go for it. But if I ever hear you have abandoned your bass...
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I would buy one. I wish I still had mine. It made me appreciate my bass lines a little more. Also helped me understand what I was playing.

16. I'd recommend a Peavey Tracer, they usually sell on ebay for around $100 and sound great. They are made in the USA so the construction seems to be really good. The neck shape is similar to a strat but very fast and the stock pickups are not bad at all.

Playing guitar is a lot of fun and I've always found that it makes songwriting for rock oriented groups much easier than trying to help a guitarist come up with something to go along with your bass line.
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I didn't have to buy a guitar, but restringing my brother's electric was a damn good move on my part. I'm by no means a guitarist, but it helped me a LOT. I'd definitely say go for it!
  18. Get the guitar.
    I've been a drummer since I was in the fourth grade('86), a guitarist since freshman year of college and a bassist for five years now. I LOVE the bass. I can't put it down.

Being able to play multiple instruments helps big time in my understanding of the importance of TIME in music.
    Moreover, I can confidently communicate with other musicians in a band situation.

The downside: It's expensive!
    I have two basses and my rig.
    Two electric and 5 acoustic/flamenco/acousitc-electric/classical guitars and my rig.
    And a seven-piece drum set.

I have bad G.A.S.
    Somebody help me! :D
  19. Wow, that's cool. So, now you can finish the song 3 minutes ahead of the rest of the band and sit down and relax, have a beer while you watch your band as they try to catch up.
  20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It always annoyed my guitar player when I showed him
    how to play his part, both the regular passage
    and the harmony passages.

Somtimes I would spring the harmony under on him without
    telling him.

Yeah, the beer tasted good as well ... :D