1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Might have a new gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Busker, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Went to audition for a country/rock band tonight. It's mostly "modern country", some very good originals, plus covers. It's a young duo, and they write good songs, and already have a recording contract! They are trying to put together a stage band and have been having bass player troubles for a while.

It went fairly well, not perfectly, but pretty good. I learned a few of their originals for the audition, and we played a bunch more stuff too. Some of it I had to learn on the fly since I've never played it before. They want me to learn as much of the song list as I can in the next week and go from there. They have gigs coming up in the near future.

They haven't actually said "you're hired" yet, but it seems promising to me. At least they want me back for another rehearsal. Wish me luck!

2. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Luck!

3. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Thanks!

Even though they have a recording contract I doubt I'll ever be recording with them, even if I get the stage band job. Just going by the sound of their recorded songs, it's all-pro studio musicians on those, as it should be.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I played sax in a "Stage Band" in High School. I find it kinda funny to see the term used for the live or road, as opposed to studio, band. The Stage Band was the smaller, more pop oriented, band compared to the Concert Band (which I was also in).

And Good Luck. Let us know if you get the gig.

5. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I don't know why I used the term stage band. I guess because it's the band that will be on stage with them - as opposed to the studio players.

I got the job! Their manager offered it to me yesterday. I have to knuckle down and learn their originals, plus a bunch of country and rock covers. Around 35-37 songs for now, since I know a few already. I have 3 weeks.

Some of the songs will be tough. Like the one that was recorded in the key of F. I've already learned in it F, it sounds good in F, IMO. But they play it in F#, so I have to transpose it to F#. Hopefully that will be easier than I think, haven't tried it in F# yet. Another song is in the key of C, but changes to C# for the second half of the song. And another is in Am but changes to Bm for the lead break. And that's just the first few.:eek: Maybe those are the hardest and they gave me those for the audition. I don't know, haven't gotten in to the entire song list just yet, because...

I have a gig tonight and tomorrow night with the band I'm still in, then no further gigs scheduled with them. I'm going to have to say goodbye to those guys after these gigs. That part of it I don't like, but I can't pass up this new opportunity.

Besides, I was thinking the band I've been in was pretty good, a week ago - that we could hold our own against some of the cover bands already out playing in this area. I'm not so sure about that now. Our last 2-3 rehearsals haven't went as good as you'd hope. The drummer and guitar player were bickering last night about song arrangements. Song arrangements? With a gig the very next night, they are arguing song arrangements. It's a little late for that. We'll have to play them as we know them and hope for the best. The drummer has been pretty annoying the last week or so. I think now they are remembering why he's been kicked out of the band before, plus he drinks too much. It ain't a frat party, it's a rehearsal. We're trying to get some real work in here. Un-chemically-altered brains appreciated.

6. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    congrats on the new gig. when in doubt just lock down the pocket and you'll be fine. have fun with it.

7. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Cheers to you...I'll make sure I get a couple pints for you..."after" practice tonight of course!

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Congrats! Sounds like it will be fun.