Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

might have blown my triad!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Sep 1, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so yeah, my band played last night in front of maybe 2000 people outside, and of course...my rig has to sound like sh!t.

my goliath jr is fine, but my triad is making this buzzing sound whenever a note is remotely loud, almost like the 15 is blown.

now...it might have been the wood the cab was on (crossing fingers) but i doubt it. so....any idea how much a new SWR 15" driver costs?!

see...in my band i never get a monitor, because there's normally not enough to go around (4 singers :( ) so i have to crank my rig....and i'm only powering it with a SWR bass 350, so the poweramp is clipping alot, and i think that's what blew the cab.

ultimate SUCK!!!!!!! :mad:

jason

2. Yeah, sounds like you've blown the voice coil.
    Call SWR and see what it costs to recone or buy a new driver. Their prices are reasonable.
    I just had all 8 of my SWR eights replaced on my '95 SWRE Henry for the same reason.... pumps like new now.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Howsomever, seems to me I read somewhere that the Triads have a tendency for the grill to loosen and vibrate. Do yourself a favor, get a Phillips driver and tighten up the grill screws before you replace the driver. Here's hoping.