1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Might have found my stolen bass-HELP!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jun 27, 2014.

1. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I had a cab stolen once, out of parked car (smash and grab. Man, we were gone less than 5 minutes!). I filed a police report. A couple of weeks later, I found it in a pawn shop 3 blocks away from where it was stolen. I didn't confront anyone. I went straight to the police. The police arranged to have an officer meet me at the pawn shop when it opened the next day. The officer arrived, went into the shop with me and demanded to see the paperwork for the item in question. The clerk/owner put up a fuss, complaining that the item was bought legitimately, but the officer wasn't havin' any of it. The books showed that the seller had also sold the shop 7 bikes and a bunch of other interesting quantities of items you wouldn't expect to come from one person. The officer told the clerk/owner that he was in possession of stolen property and that the police would be confiscating the cabinet to return it to its rightful owner. I didn't have to pay a dime, much to the complaint of the clerk/owner. The officer also told them the police would be keeping an eye on his shop for the next few months. It was kind of a Judge Dredd moment. I AM THE LAW! Circumstances for your theft are obviously different, and we live in different countries, but I hope your situation has a similar outcome. ;)

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    How is he supposed to know though? It could have been through 200 owners in 5 years.

faulknersj and fourstringdrums like this.
  3. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Sucks that it got swiped, but awesome that you happened across it! Hope it all works out.

faulknersj likes this.
  4. Manichga

Manichga

Aug 13, 2013
    Australia
    But 5 years ago? Really? It's probably changed hands a bunch of times since then. It would certainly be great ( as well as just) to get it back, but don't bother hoping to catch the person who pinched it in the first place.

faulknersj likes this.
  5. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Subbed. I smell reality TalkBass gold.

6. Terrible advise. The OP had a bass STOLEN from him, and you expect them to pay to get it back when it is hanging in a pawn shop. Alert the police asap and ensure the pawn shop doesn't attempt to sell it.

Dr Gero, Marihino, inate_hex and 4 others like this.
  7. Pachap

Pachap

Jun 21, 2014
    Savannahstan, GA
    Damn I hope this works out for you. I would at least make a phone call to the police about it now. In fact I'd go to the local precinct and go ahead and speak with an officer, just to get some kind of idea of where this might go.

My local PD has a few officers that deal strictly with pawn shops and reports of stolen goods on Craiglsist. If you're PD is like this it may be easier to get it back than you think.

FWIW, I have a cousin who has owned a pawn shop for several years. His policy has always been that if you bring him a police report with serial numbers you get the item back no questions asked, and he reports the seller to the police himself. He says he feels he has come out to the good because he rarely gets stolen goods anymore and he built up a lot of goodwill with those whom he returned goods to. Many of those people have become good customers of his.

faulknersj likes this.
  8. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I was just giving you an example of what happened in my situations. If you have the original police report containing the serial number of the bass that was was stolen, there should not be much trouble recovering it. The question would be are the police going to hold the bass as evidence, or will they deem that it has been too long since the theft (little chance of catching the perp) and just return the bass to you.

If you were to tell the shop owner/manager that the bass is stolen and you do have a police report, they "should" pull it and put it in police hold, so the cops can come pick it up for evidence.

I think your best bet would be to have an officer there with the police report showing the serial number and that the bass was never recovered.

Again I say, good luck. And always keep track of your serial numbers.

faulknersj likes this.
  9. Faulknersj has already been without the bass for FIVE (5) FRICKIN YEARS! You think he can't hang on for a few weeks or months KNOWING he'll be getting it back at the end of the police hold? That's as nuts as paying the shop for what's his; regardless if local laws stipulate he has to pay the pawn shop something – that's messed up. Pawn shop owner's must realise it's the "cost of doing the business they're in", to have to eat the expense of recovered stolen goods from time-to-time.

Faulknersj, you are the walrus – koo koo kachoo...

Best wishes in the speedy return of your bass.

10. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

faulknersj likes this.
  11. OP -- please keep us in the know as to whether you were able to resolve the matter to your satisfaction. I hope you're able to reclaim your bass.
    Much respect.

faulknersj likes this.
  12. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Subbed best of luck getting your bass back!

faulknersj likes this.
  13. If it were me, rather than formulating my own plan to retrieve the stolen bass, I'd call the cops immediately for advice. They'll know exactly what to do.

Good luck!

14. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    That vid made my day.

faulknersj likes this.
  15. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    It's awesome you found it! Hope nothing but the best outcome for you and you get it back!

faulknersj likes this.
  16. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I have to throw in with the "Don't tip your hand to the shop" camp. If they are seriously unscrupulous, they could have it taken down, hustled out back and hide/dispose of it. Then they could deny-deny-deny and ultimately, you're out a custom bass and they dodge a legal-bullet.

Do they still do that in Arizona? :ninja:

But it does make me wonder…being in Scottsdale, AZ (corporate home of Fender MIC), would the discovery of a stolen Fender get a posse of in-house "Regulators" riding out on the trail of the varmint what did the deed? Perhaps, something like this?

TombstoneFender-Style_zpsb784e969.jpg
    (And if anyone is wondering…yes, I did indeed 'shop this myself)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  17. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    Subbed.

faulknersj likes this.
  18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Get a cop there asap.

faulknersj likes this.
  19. Sub'd. Good luck. You might be surprised by the cops and there willingness to help you.

faulknersj likes this.
  20. I'm subbed as well, and I certainly hope it works out for you - good luck, and fingers crossed.

faulknersj likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021