1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Might have found my stolen bass-HELP!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jun 27, 2014.

1. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Once it took me a few years to get a stolen piece of musical instrument back. I agree that the first time you show up claiming it is yours, bring law enforcement. Otherwise it could mysteriously disappear. Police serve and protect. This is an opportunity for them to do both. They may want to hold it for evidence for a while, but that is as good as being back home. Good luck.

faulknersj likes this.
  2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Aww, man…you're gonna make me 'shop another pic, aren't you?! :dead:

3. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    Go with your gut about what procedures. My gut says walk in with report and bass in possession polite but ready for confrontation.
    Assess your favored way of doing things successfully I have worked in used music stores off and on since 1997 and there are lots of stories involving all parties (cops store owners) and all scams possible my favorite is the one where a pawn shop owner saw a guy come into a store with an acoustic guitar in a hardshell with distinctive markings and he didn't even see the guitar he just went up and put his hand on the guitar and said "I know this isn't your guitar, walk away" and boom he did and my friend's girlfriend got her guitar back.
    Others.....
    Not so good.
    Stories abound in a pre computer pawn system of an item being sold for $100 to the next guy in the store before the cops get back.

faulknersj likes this.
  4. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    You have a cell phone and if you're polite and stay in the store and are fine with possibly waiting hours for an officer to show up, do so.
    In some states if you pay any amount to recover the item you do not get the cash back so hunker down.
    Again if you're not a confrontational person you should call the po-po prior

faulknersj likes this.
  5. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Good luck man. Pawn stores can be some of the most suspect places in the world.

faulknersj likes this.
  6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Subbed.

I hope this all works out for you. But I don't think you answered the question of did you file a report initially when it was stolen? I'd hate to see it work against you if you didn't.

faulknersj likes this.
  7. fourstringdrums, ^^^ It was my understanding that he did file a police report when it was stolen, but that it wasn't insured.

You could not have made better choices for which model of bass each Marshall is carrying, perfectly suited to each character – well done!

faulknersj and fourstringdrums like this.
  8. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Reputable pawn shops will immediately pull the bass for you and await the cops. If you think they are not reputable, take a friend in and ask to see the bass. Say your friend knows more about them. Then have him home around and take some 'bad ass' pics of you vamping with the store in the background plus one slyly of the serial number. At that point even if they sell it before the cops get there you have proof they had it (and they can produce proof they sold it). Then the cops get it back from the buyer who the shop has to reimburse. Shop eats it.

I have a friend who runs a shop for a chain. They send everything over to the cops but still stuff slips thru. I almost bought an upright from him and noticed a school sticker inside he missed. Sure enough, stolen. They ate it.

faulknersj likes this.
  9. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Subbed...best of luck. Please keep us posted.

faulknersj likes this.
  10. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Best of Luck.
    Please let us know how it goes

faulknersj likes this.
  11. Just back from my gig tonight. Tomorrow morning...I'm off to the police station to get a copy of the police report I filed years ago. I will take my pictures of the bass with me...and I have detailed shots clearly showing the serial #. I have pictures of the bass hanging in their shop that I pulled from their website. One is even of the back of the bass...which is lucky because the buckle rash is distinctive. It is also kind of lucky that the neck is Birdseye maple because the marks are also very distinctive. Fingers crossed that the police report I filled out was ACTUALLY FILED. I'll believe it when I see it. I promise an update as soon as there is any news. Maybe this thread can help someone else in this situation in the future.

Thank you ALL for your input and support.

I've never seen another MM5 with this color combo. Special ordered her 15 years ago...she's 1 of a kind.

Found an old video of me playing her. More evidence. Go to 2:00

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    Igor Porto, SirMjac28 and maestrovert like this.
  12. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Gorgeous bass. I really hope it's yours and if so, you get it back. Good luck.

SirMjac28 and faulknersj like this.
  13. It is definitely mine. Matching serial numbers. I knew as soon as I saw it was mine. That bass and I...we have spent a lot of good times together...

14. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Oh, wow. Didn't read the whole thread because I'm on a phone. Get some cops in there, quick!

faulknersj likes this.
  15. soxhats

soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Sub'd. Good luck, man!

faulknersj likes this.
  16. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Man, a LOT of folks are watching this in hopes for a good outcome for you.

Including me!

Good luck!

bassmeknik, TinIndian and faulknersj like this.
  17. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I hate thieves ... it would be great with a happy ending for once, good luck!

bassmeknik, TinIndian and faulknersj like this.
  18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Call me over-cautious, whatever, but I would at least call the police if could do so via a non-emergency, non-911 line simply to establish a dialogue or initiate an intake / crime report. They record this stuff with a time stamp and will warrant a follow-up on their part during normal business hours...IOW, it will not be ignored.

I trust pawn shops about as far as I can throw one.

Riis

19. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Yes, get that call in ASAP so there is a report, maybe that will also mean the pawn shop will get a call from the police to prevent them from selling it until it's investigated. (Fingers crossed the police at least does that since it does look like there's good evidence here).

Dr Gero and faulknersj like this.
  20. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I've been reading over this whole thread pretty quickly, but I didn't notice anyone mention that in all probability the axe has changed hands several times since it was stolen. Sure, it's POSSIBLE that the shop is a fence and their supplier was a thief. But hold off on the accusations, because it could also have been someone who bought it off Craig's List last year from someone who picked it up at a flea market 3 years ago...

faulknersj and Zooberwerx like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021