Might I Paraphrase Mister J Turner?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bovinehost, Jun 15, 2005.

1. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I was reading JT's sticky up top about people who make (what they think are) hilarious comments or snide comments about extended range instruments. Anyone read that lately?

Because you could replace "extended range" with a particular brand, say, or even a model, and it still works.

If I step on anyone's toes here (especially you, JT, but I think this is valid), I apologize in advance - but I also believe I have a point (besides the one on top o' my head).

See what I mean:

"I've about had it with the insults and the snide b.s. about Bongos and the musicians who choose to play them. I've dealt with it for over 2 years, and Ii've dealt with it here from some poor unfortunate ignoramouses ever since i first got here. Most folks ask honest questions about instruments they don't understand or never experienced, and that's fine, any number of the Bongo players on the site here will be glad to share their experiences and answer questions.

But the (thankfully small) gaggle of clucking airheads who feel the need to be insulting about someone else's instrument choice need to adjust their cluck. It's disrespectful and flies right in the face of the #1 rule here at talkbass. We want this site to be a comfortable area for all bassists, and these kinds of comments make that impossible.

So the next time you think you have something funny to say about someone's instrument choice at their expense (nevermind the fact that we Bongo players have heard it _all_ before, from folks smarter than you even, and they still sounded like idiots) think twice....."

Now tell me I'm wrong.
  2. As long as they don't make an extended-range Bongo- now THAT would be so wrong.

Edit: KIDDING. Hiding, but kidding. Oh, & you're wrong(you told me to!).
  3. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Well stated. I think these people should get into there heads that just because you have the right to an opinion that does not inherently give you the right to be insulting. I think most of the comments are from new users who have not read the sticky rules and are for the most part just trolling like im sure they do many other forums. I havent been here to long... took me the longest to even make a name, but in the short time Iv been here Talkbass has grown a bit... Im sure its gonna get harder and harder to police the trolls as time goes on.. we just got a plug in the bassplayer magazine in the introduce yourself section this month.
  4. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Is this in reply to the 'Share pics of your stealth Bongo' thread? If so, there's no reason to get bent out of shape. From what I saw, that was not an attack at the bass, but rather, just a mildly humorous play on words.

If it is not, I retract the previous few sentences, as I do agree with you.
  5. Why DO people hate on the Bongo?

I've owned a Sterling now for over five years, which is a bit of time before the Bongo was introduced and if I had the choice at the time, I probably would have went for the Bongo (which is not to discredit the Sterling in any way either).
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I don't think there's anything wrong with people expressing their disdain for and instrument, or anything else for that matter. I think it often helps fuel interesting and thoughtful dialogue. Being an idiot though (as JTs post implies) is a whole nuther ballgame, and so is stating opinions as fact. "I really don't like the look of Bongos," is a lot different than, "Bongos are ugly!". "Anyone who plays more than 4 strings must be lacking somewhere else," is a lot different than, "It always felt that people playing basses with more than 4 strings were looking for attention of some sort". You get the idea.

The words, "I believe", "I feel", "It seems to me", "In my opinion", "I think" etc., go a long way. Other disclaimers such as, "No offfense, but", "With all due respect", usually don't seem to fly as well - with me at least, in my opinion... I think.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Looks... and the funny name too, perhaps. The Bongo design is analogous to the Chrysler PT Cruiser (which I own and love): it's rather unusual, and therefore won't be to everyone's taste... it's a "love it or hate it" design.

But I do agree that there's no reason to bash things just because they don't happen to be your cup of tea. It's true for extended range basses, and it's also true for the Bongo, Fieldy, rap music, and most other things that some people love to hate.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I pretty much agree... there's a difference between disagreement and disrespect. But I see no difference between the 2 statements you made on ERB's.
  9. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    Yeah, but even something like that seems to raise hostile and dismissive responses around here which tends to fuel the fire. I think Bongos are great basses and they look pretty attractive to me, but people have become a bit touchy about them. That last bit with the Bongo picture seemed pretty harmless, maybe tired, but harmless nonetheless IMHO.

I've seen people hate on Sadowskys, Warwicks, Fenders, Squiers, Wishnevskys, Kubickis, Steinbergers, exotic top basses, just to name a few, and these are all instruments apparently others love and enjoy. IIRC, someone even had a signature line hating on Squiers. Go figure.
  10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I used to rag on the basses but lately they've been growing on me...

Especially the Stealth 5s.. Fretlesses..

11. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Did you ever know you were my hero?

Bongo Nation salutes you!
  12. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Trade you a neck on a stick for it.
  13. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Hey, I have a Bongo and a Deep Cranberry PT GT (Turbo). Maybe we should start a club or something. :)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Play what makes you happy. :bassist:
  15. Just about anything that is successful - as the Bongo has proven itself to be - will get bashed, rudely or otherwise just as any instrument that is clearly below standard gets bashed, like the Wishnevsky.

What I don't understand is anyone actually having their feelings hurt over obviously ignorant comments about a simple possession. Just where are the priorities here? We as a country (USA) have regressed into a quivering mass of boohoos that get offended at the least little thing. What would Stanley Clarke have done way back in the 70's if some backwoods bozo jumped up in the middle of the set and yelled " What's THAT!? Some fancy pants ukelele?" I'll tell you what he would've done - He would have :rolleyes: Then he would've :bassist: till the twerps ears bled!