Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

might sound stupid

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hamerexplorer, Jan 9, 2006.

1. hamerexplorer

hamerexplorer

Dec 31, 2005
    but ive never heard of the bassist jaco before i got here...so am i right in saying

eddie van halen is to guitar as jaco is to bass?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Get his self titled album, Jaco Pastorius... it's pretty much essential "bass player listening."

Then go from there...

You could always go on some place like Amazon and listen to sound clips

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Certainly not....:meh:

Now if you had said "Jimi Hendrix"......;)

4. hamerexplorer

hamerexplorer

Dec 31, 2005
    oh...allright guys thanks

5. Sensory_Rupture

Sensory_Rupture

Dec 13, 2003
    I think the Hendrix comparison is wrong too... Hendrix took an instrument which was already a lead/solo instrument and expanded upon it. Jaco took an instrument that was always in the background and brought it into the spotlight.

6. I'd say Jaco and Hendrix are very similar, sure, it was already a lead/solo insturment but it wasn't THAT intense and amazing of one...he took it to a whole new level and brought guitar to a whole new level of fame, same with jaco and bass (only he brought it to the forefront more-so.)

But no...More like Eddie Van Halen is to Guitar as Billy Sheehan is to Bass (times one million.)

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I could not agree more...while that album can take a while to "decode" and break into, it is indeed essential listening for the modern bassist, whatever your role in making music!

As for Hendrix, I think it would be more fair to call him the Jaco of electric guitar!

8. Not really true...John Entwistle was bringing the bass to the forefront as early as 1965 with My Generation. You can go all the way back to Jimmy Blanton...

Anyways, I think the Hendrix comparison is right on.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think all these "guitarist name here" of bass comparisons are wrong... he plays jazz/funk! Hendrix didn't do that... and I'm fairly sure EVH didn't either. ;)

10. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    Hendrix played very funky, and if you listen to his post-humanous realease "First Rays of the New Rising Sun" his material was starting to take a somewhat jazzy turn. In fact, I heard the night Jimi died was supposed to go into the studio to record with Miles Davis.

11. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    I'm all for the Jaco/Hendrix comparision. They both revolutionized their respective instruments. Previous roles aside, guitar and bass weren't the same after these two greats.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Van halen --> Billy Sheehan ?

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Perhaps, since they both bought a new "fire" to their instruments...

imagine a band with Gilbert and Eddie playing lead and Sheehan on the bass...!

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I like the way the post before last, mentions Van Halen and Billy Sheehan, along with the undoubtedly necessary warning - WEAR EARPLUGS - I'm sure I would!! ;)

15. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    With regard to expressiveness and technique (in comparison to Jaco), my vote goes to Jeff Beck.

16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Lol got a mental image of three guys playing three completely different shredder solo's all at the same time.

17. Ha. Totally.
    Eddie would kill Gilbert in a duel.