1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Might trade Fender for Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skidmarkbass, Oct 31, 2013.

1. I recently switched back to 4 stringers from 5ers. Thinking of trading an American Standard Jazz 5 white (2008) for a Very Pretty Mint Carvin SB4000 Walnut with Rosewood/Pearl board. Any thoughts? Is this stupid? I still have 3 5ers that I will be keeping for now.

Attached Files:

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Across the board? That Carvin better have some fancy features if you are not asking for cash on your end. Fender holds thier value pretty good on the used market, Carvin does not.

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    If you like the sound and feel of the Carvin better, then it's a good deal. The "re-sale value" argument is getting old IMO, as I've seen used SB series basses selling for fairly high prices.

Personally if you buy a mediocre bass over a good bass because of perceived resale value, you are doing yourself a disservice as a player. If the instrument inspires you to play then it is a worthy instrument. Most people who buy the SB basses love them so the used market won't be saturated anytime soon. This likely keeps the used prices higher for this particular "youthful" bass. Time will tell but the quality of their recent offerings should render the re-sale argument moot, IMO.

4. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I think resale value should always be considered when making a trade. Things that "speak" to you right now may go silent in the future, and then you lose. Making a reasonable cash offer to just buy it, rather than trading something more valuable is always a better plan IMO.

5. The Carvin will likely be the better bass on average.

SB series Carvins tend to have much better resale value than the LB series.

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Far more likely is the bass that doesn't speak to you now never will, and value based on perception rather than reality is temporary.

:cool:

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

It's not just the resale value. Brand new, the Carvin, even with a walnut body, will cost a lot less than a MIA Fender American Standard Jazz V. Like about 33% less, depending on other options.

Looked at just in terms of quality, yes, it's a good trade. But in terms of money? You should be asking for a cash+trade on this one, IMO.