1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mighty mite fretless... how many "frets"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poomwah, Jan 15, 2012.

1. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I know the answer is zero. But you know what I mean.
    They seem to only have a p-bass replacement neck, I want to put one on a squire jaguar.
    P-bass and Jag have the same number of frets right?

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    What scale is your jag? they make a short scale jag as well as a 34 scale jag

3. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I haven't got the jag yet, it all depends on whether or not the fretless neck will work .
    Anyway, the one I'm looking at is the 34

4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    If it is a P bass replacement neck it will have 20 "frets" when used with a body that gives a 34 inch scale. Most P, J, and Jag bodies built more or less to Fender specs will have a 34 inch scale and yield 20 frets when used with it. As mentioned above some Jags are short scale but if the MM neck fits their neck pockets you will probably end up with 34 inch/20 frets. It actually can be used with any body that has a compatible neck pocket even though the scale length could turn out different from that the original neck gave. Since there are no actual frets you are not locked into any particular scale length. If you have a body with a short distance from the bridge to the neck pocket you could end up with a short scale bass and more frets. If the reverse is true you would have a long scale with fewer frets.

Ken