Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mighty Mite Fretless Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tanuki, Jun 28, 2005.

1. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    i am thinking about getting one of these necks, i was going to go with warmouth but with import tax and all it just seemed better to go with something i can get in the uk...]

has anyone got any experiance of mighty mite necks? Especially the fretless ebony board p bass replacement?

cheers for any help.. :hyper:

2. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I have a Mighty Mite MM2919 p-bass neck with the phenolic Ebonal board. I installed it on a jazz bass body and am using flats on it. I couldn't be more pleased with the neck. It's stayed straight as a nail, the relief stays constant and I've been able to dial the action down very low without detecting any humps or uneven spots. I haven't noticed any issues with fretboard wear, but keep in mind that I'm using flats.

Any specific questions, fire away. I'll be glad to help if I can.

Shannon

3. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    hey there, thanks,

im used to a 77 pbass and i was trying to work out whether the neck would feel wierd, ive never put a bass together either, im used to heavy basses with thump and im not sure if i could put one together that would sound good

doubts aside, would you say the neck was equivolent quality to [the cheeper end fenders or the american series, i have no real way of comparing..

what is a phenolic Ebonal board? it sounds like its some form of plastic or composite from the name, it may be a silly question but is it wood??

thanks a lot for your help... :hyper:

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have one of the Mighty Mite ebanol board necks and it is really nice. I'd say that the quality is similar to the MIM Fender Standard series. The nut that mine came with was a soft PVC /plastic nut and it seems to be glued in. I will be swapping it out with a better nut before I install it on another body. Mine is the P-Bass style neck and it has a nice feel without being too thick or bulky feeling. A steal at the prices that I've seen them at (right about $100 USD).

Ebanol is a dense plastic-like material. It feels like a very uniform type of epoxy and has a glassy finish. I didn't think that it was super zingy sounding, but mine was on a Warmoth P body with D'Addario Chromes flats when I last had it on a bass.

The necks come with just a sealer coat on them and not a real finish. I like the feel of the sealer coat enough to leave it like that but if you want a clearcoat on the neck then either find someone selling them finished or plan on having it sprayed on your end.

5. Anyone know if these fit on mims?