Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mighty Mite Megathread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Dec 6, 2003.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, saw the idea in another thread to start a Mighty Mite megathread, and I'm doing it!

Question #1:
    How are the necks compared to Fender? Do they do one-piece maple necks? How do they hold up?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    A Megathread is a thread of a bunch of similar threads combined into one by a Moderator. :)

Mighty Mite necks are pretty nice for the money, IMO, comperable to Femder MIM necks.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How about started by a mod with a lotta potential? :p

4. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Yes they are as good as a MIM Fender. If you put a fender decal and everything the only thing that gives em away is the medium jumbo frets instead of jumbo. Or if you have "mighty mite" still stamped on the neck. The bodies are good too but the cheapest are the maple bodies and they are kinda heavy. I have a P bass built right now. yes you probably started this thread because of my idea on the "essex" thread. Heheh.
    R.H.

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    to get a real megathread, check out these other threads (result of a simple search)

search for mighty mite

6. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    i bought a maple/maple mighty mite neck a little while back for a project bass from tnt. here's what i learned--

--nice, finished neck for under $100.
    --headstock is pretty darn close to a fender.
    --i personally like that the truss rod access is on the headstock.
    --it would not fit in my mim jazz neck pocket without some sanding. YMMV
    --i ordered a jazz neck and got a neck with a 1 5/8" nut (p bass size). i was told that they only make this size although i've heard others say they've bought 1 1/2" nut mighty mite necks. called several other mm dealers who did not have any in stock and couldn't confirm nut width. talked to the mighty mite representative who also claimed they only make 1 5/8", but to be frank, he didn't seem all that confident. who knows, maybe i was getting the run around but this is what i was told after numerous calls to mm dealers and representative.

i ended up just selling it and putting the project on hold. if anyone knows where i can get a maple/maple mm neck with a 1 1/2" nut, i'd gladly do the sanding to fit it on my bass.

7. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    They make BOTH the 1 5/8 and the 1 1/2. Go to Ebay.com and i see them on there every day. The Jazz bass and the P bass. Prolly cost you a hundred bucks. Yes the mighty necks are a wee bit wider than fender stock, but i think this is a good thing cause u can use just about any bridge that you choose.

8. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I also must add when on ebay, when you search don't type in "mighty mite" type in "bass neck" and you will get all the different necks that are selling on auction. Many have the "buy it now" and all that stuff. Good luck.

9. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    yeah, i saw one on ebay the other day that said it was a 1 1/2" nut but the seller wanted $115 or so. i guess i'll take the chance again despite what the mm rep has to say, but i'm waiting for one around $80.

10. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Heck if you were a luthier, you could shave the width of the neck and the back to a jazz size, but this is a whole other thread and it'd prolly take years of practice..hehee.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've seen them on eBay, but the prices vary from the same vendor. Seems to me that they're factory rejects and selling based on a rubric of screwiness. Whats the deal?

12. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Different people are selling mighty mite necks. I guess the prices they ask determines how much cash they wanna make. I would say wholesale a dealer can buy em for like 60 bucks and if they sell for $100 they make 40 bucks. I dont know, there could be some factory rejects in the mix who knows. Surely they would stamp factory "2nd" on the neck? Maybe not....

13. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
  14. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Well if "Kenny" can't tell the difference in 1 8/16 and 1 10/16 then maybe he shouldn't claim to have J bass and P bass necks in stock. I would ask him to clarify things. Does he have a Jazz bass neck or NOT. If they had both necks in stock, one could clearly see the difference side by side.

15. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    wow, no one has talked on this thread since me!! I guess no one else messes with MM but us freaks out there.

16. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    never heard of there basses, but my friends cort has active mighty might elctronics. there not bad, but i like my passive emgs better.