1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mighty Mite Music Man pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sundogue, May 2, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I already did a search, but not much came up that was very informative, and what I did find was pretty outdated (though it could still be valid).

I'm building my own bass (using a Warmoth neck) and I'm customizing the body myself. I'm interested in putting in a Music Man style pickup.

I would like to put in a Bartolini or Seymour Duncan eventually, but I saw these Mighty Mite pickups for very cheap ($20). I know some will say just save up for it, but I'm trying to get this thing built as cheaply as possible for right now. I want to make sure everything lines up, so I'd like to have the pickup before I even start routing out for one.

My question is, does anyone know how good/bad these Mighty Mite pickups are? Are they decent pickups? I know you get what you pay for, but I"m playing a MIM P-Bass right now and I know they aren't putting top notch pickups in those and it sounds fine to me. While the Mighty Mite pickups might not be top notch, are they at least adequate?

If I were to get one and later decide to upgrade to a better one, are the dimensions the same as the Barts or SD's, or would I have to re-route for the replacements? I would think Music Man style pickups would be the same dimensions as to be easily swapped out.

I haven't decided yet, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'll probably just get one and see how it works for me. Then I'll let everyone know how bad they are. ;)

3. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    You always can ask someone that owns a Tobias bass, the new range use those Mighty Mite pickups.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks. I already bought the cheap pickup.

I'll just have to see how it sounds. If I don't like it, I'll just swap it out for a better one later on.

No big loss as I got it pretty cheap and it will allow me to keep building my bass body as my finances allow (which is next to nothing for the time being...for musical purchases anyhow).

5. Howd that Mighty mite pickup work out?

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm building a bass that it will be going in. The pickup should arrive by mail next week.

It will be some time before I have my bass done (hopefully this month yet), but I will surely post a review of it after I've played with it a while.

Here's a pic of the bass I'm building. I used electrical tape to kind of give me an idea what it will look like with the pickups in it (P-Bass and the MM). It's just a quick pic, so nothing is laid out on it with any accuracy...

[​IMG]

All I've read is that the MM pickups are junk (from just a couple of people), but they never said why they felt that way. Low output? Lousy sound? Horrible tone? What? They never said. I think it's a disservice to proclaim something as junk and not say why. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I got mine for $14, so I figured worst case, is that I just replace it someday with a known pricier one. It may very well be decent pickup, even if it's not the best.

But at least I'll put up a review of it, so others can at least make some kind of informed decision about them. Hard to beat the price.

7. I would also love to hear your findings on these pickups... I am also building my first budget bass(4 string fretless) and was thinking of doing a p/j combo or a solo humbucker.

Where did ya get it for 14 dollars? The cheapest I found a new one was for 23 dollars shipped from e-bay.

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    A music store just south of me happened to have few of them lying around.

9. awesome...

Bump!

10. Anyone have any info on these pickups yet?

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I just picked mine up yesterday.

It only allows you to run it as a single coil pickup...you can't split it. Only two wires coming out.

It is damn heavy for a pickup. The cover is not removable unless you remove the gunk holding the cover on. I have no need to though.

I'm still working on the body it will be going in, so it will be a while before I can do a report on it.

12. Thanks for checking back in, I just ordered mine last night so it should be arriving next week. Mabye ill switch it out in my squier and see how it works. I plan on using it as a single pickup in my freltess... but for 23 bucks...

13. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    You mean humbucker, right?
    MusicMan pups are humbuckers and one wiring option only would be humbucking, not single coil.

14. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    so, any info on these?

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm just getting ready to route out the cavities in my bass body.

Once it's done and wired up, I'll let everyone know what I think about the pickup. You can see in this photo where the MM pickup will go. I'll have a blend knob so I'll know what it sounds like by itself.

[​IMG]

16. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I never thought an outline could look so good!

Hurry up and get us a review! :)

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks.

I wish I could hurry up. I've got four kids (one only a year old), and both my wife and I work two jobs each, plus I'm playing in two bands, lots of remodelling on an old house, etc, etc, etc.

I hope to get some work done on it this weekend. I'd be thrilled if I only got the routing templates made, and/or some of the rough cuts done. Any progress would make me happier.

Not being able to work on it is driving me insane! I've got this beautiful Warmoth Jazz neck sitting here too...Ugh!!!!!!!!!

18. I bought a pair of these pickups about a year ago and they seemed to sound pretty good. I put them in a Samick Artist series jazz type bass with rosewood neck. Since I got this bass in pieces, it gives me a way to try out different pickup combinations before routing a much nicer body. Anyway, I have used these single in both the neck and bridge positiion, with a P neck pickup, with a jazz neck pickup and even tried two in series /parallel. I have it currently wired like a jazz with 2 volumes and one tone. I have not been dissappointed at all with the range of tones available. They seem to be affected more by spacing to the strings than some other pickups I have tried. Good Luck!

19. analogkills

analogkills

Nov 4, 2011
    so whats the out come every one else who purchased these????????

20. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

Mar 19, 2013
    Anybody? Hello! I just picked up an OLP MM2 for $60 and was thinking of swapping the pickup. I want to run no tone, no volume, just a kill switch. I always run my vole and tone all the way up, I just need a mute. I don't want to spend lots of money on a pickup for a backup, backup bass.