Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mighty Mite Neck and MIM/MIJ Body problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Mar 8, 2005.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Hello all,
    I recently bought a Mighty Mite replacement J Bass neck from eBay and a MIJ p bass special body but the neck will not fit into the neck pocket. I also tried to put into my MIM jazz bass neck pocket and again it wouldn't fit. the neck heel is much shorter on the Mighty Mite neck and the fingerboard is too fat to get into the pocket. Has anyone else had this problem or did I get a bum neck? Or perhaps it's an issue of an American replacement neck not fitting into MIJ/MIM bodies? Thanks for any help.

Dirk

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    How many frets does the Japanese P Bass Special normally have? If it's not 20 then most replacement necks won't fit on it.

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    well, the neck of my MIM jazz fit perfectly into the neck pocket of the MIJ body, so I'm assuming it's something wrong with my neck. Curse Ebay.

Dirk

4. MIM and MIJ necks are just a bit thinner in the neck pocket than the MIA basses - 2 1/2" vs. 2 7/16".
    Don't curse eBay, curse Fender! Just kidding. I just love Fenders, but they make their MIA parts incompatable with the MIJ and MIM parts!
    Hope this helps.

5. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    How are Mighty Mite parts (necks in particular)? Has anyone had any extended experience with them (used a neck on a bass you've been playing for at least 6 months or longer)? It seems like they are the cheapest option for necks and other parts. Of course, the only alternatives I know of are Carvin, Warmoth, and USA Custom. Thanks.

6. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    i once bought a replacement neck for my 83 cimar precision copy off ebay.

It was a no name brand guaranteed to fit P and J basses. however due to an oversight on my part, I assumed that the neck pocket of my cimar bass was standard P.

When i got the neck, it was too broad to fit into the pocket so i had to widen the neck pocket.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

That is right. I put a MIM Jazz neck on a Mighty Mite body and it isn't a snug fit. The same when I tried to put a different MIM neck on an SX. The MIM and MIJ necks are smaller.

8. P bass special bodies used 22 fret necks and the body is a just that - a special "smaller" P bass shape to accomodate the additional 2 frets. None of the standard 20 fret necks will fit - pocket not withstanding - unless you are prepared to move your bridge to a new location.

9. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    does anybody know if the CIJ Geddy Lee Sig bodies suffer the same fate? I just scored one at a great price from the 'Bay, complete body minus the neck(my hands are too big for the slimmer geddy neck) and was planning on picking up an Allparts replacement neck to slap on it(or using the neck from my marcus if i botch my sabre mod :crying: ).

10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't know, but you could measure the neck pocket.

11. I'd be willing to bet on it. As far as I know, Allparts, mighty mite, warmoth, etc, necks are created as direct replacement for MIA fender necks, which have a 2 1/2" neck pocket. I had a MIJ P bass and a MIM Jazz and the necks were interchangable. Go figure.

I guess you could widen the neck pocket. That could be tricky. I guess you could just hold the neck up to the pocket and trace around it to find out how much wood to remove. A dremel tool would do the trick, but don't slip! Sandpaper would be a safer, yet more time cosuming option.

Kind of off subject: has anyone put and MIA P neck on a MIA jazz?

12. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    well, the geddy body isn't here yet(just shipped out yesterday), but i thought that someone else here at TB had replaced their geddy neck with either an allparts or warmoth and had no problems. i did measure the neck width on my CIJ fender (formerly)Marcus and it's 2.5", so i'm assuming that the MIJ/CIJ's that are made for the american market are built to fenderUSA specs and maybe just the stuff meant for the Japanese market are different.