1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mighty Mite Neck Finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobInLincoln, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Hello,

I'm putting together a custom bass and I plan on ordering a p bass rosewood neck from Mighty Mite and I'm wondering if I need to add any additional finish to the maple such as lacquer or polyurethane. The neck will come sanded and oiled. I've been told that adding lacquer will make the neck "stronger" and will help resist warping but I'm not sure how much truth is to this. Will the neck be ready to use without any additional finish? Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with Mighty Mite necks?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Not sure about "stronger" but yes, adding a finish will help prevent future warping (primarily by sealing the grain from outside moisture).

RobInLincoln likes this.
  3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

They come finished with a thin coat of poly

RobInLincoln likes this.
  4. I'm hoping so, however, I spoke with a lady from Mighty Mite in sales yesterday and she just mentioned that it just comes rubbed with oil. Maybe she didn't know the specifics.

bholder likes this.
  5. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If it's oiled, it will work fine.

RobInLincoln and bholder like this.
  6. If anyone is interested, I got this response from Mighty Mite regarding the neck finish:

Our necks come with a satin thin polyurethane oil based finish, but if you like to add a lacquer to the neck, you can sand it with a finest sandpaper to reduce the finish of the neck and add the lacquer.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

well: there you have it! good luck with your neck! :thumbsup:

RobInLincoln likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020