Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mighty Mite necks?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Mar 4, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone knew anything about Mighty Mite necks. I have a building project on the go and they're all I can find in town so far. Since this is my first project, I'm a bit leery about spending several hundred bucks on a WD or Warmoth neck; however, I was wondering if Mighty Mites were okay and not too bad.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I do know that MM is one of the few places that is licensed by Fender to build replacement necks. I have never used their necks, but I have used pots and pickguards and such from there and been happy with the quality and service.

Chas

3. I don't understand your trepidation with Warmoth necks - a neck similiar to a Mighty Mite will only run $150 - $170. That's not "several hundred". Besides that, Warmoth is also licensed as a Fender replacement. Another clear difference is that with a Warmoth, you can have your choice of frets and finish but you can't with a Mighty Mite.

IMO Warmoth's quality and construction is far superior to Fender's stock neck or Mighty Mite's offering. Since you are looking to upgrade, why use a replacement instead of something of higher quality?

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I guess someone's been fibbing to me - buddy down at the music store told me that a WD would be around 300, and a Warmoth could be 500 and up.
    Thanks for the REAL info...

5. It's easy to get some wrong info about Warmoth and I suspect it's because of the virtual "rainbow" of possible wood and feature combinations that they offer. Shoot, you could have a rosewood neck with goncalo alves fretboard, mandolin wire, etc., etc. It can get pretty confusing sometimes.

I noticed awhile back that the website didn't list an all maple Jazz neck. I emailed Warmoth and got a note back from the man himself apologizing for the omission and stating that the necks were in stock and ready for shipment at $157. I was surprised, not only for the quick reply but the fact that the price was so low.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I checked out Warmoth's website and happened upon their so-called Thrift Shop. There are some nice-looking necks to be had there for cheap!

One thing though - on most of them it says Your Choice for frets. Does this mean they'll do the fretwork for you, even if it's a "thrift shop" neck, or do you have to do it yourself (gulp!).

Thanks in advance - again :)

7. Warmoth's Thrift Shop is wonderful (Maple/Maple can be found for about $150), and I've heard from many bass builders and custom dealers, that Warmoth makes the BEST necks. The YC Frets, they will do the fret work for you... but you get to choose which frets you want them to put on there.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Bert! I think I'll go with the Warmoth Thrift Shop rather than a Mighty Mite... gee, tough choice if the price is close :rolleyes:

Thanks again... by the way, there are some really nice ones in there right now...

9. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    actually the prices on Mighty mites site are only retail list prices and you can get them for much less like $100 bucks. Heck I went to Ebay and got one for 64 dollars. But you get what you pay for andthey are in the same league with Mexican Fender and not better or any less in quality.

10. rick123

rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    I have used two MM necks both bought from ebay, both new. They were just fine in every respect. The nuts were installed and needed very little or no work. They were also finshed satin. They were less than $75 each. No complaints. I also ordered a Warmoth neck with a "Tele"-style peghead and a particular fret and fingerboard config. I'm certain that it was well under $200. I did have to build the nut and put a finish on the neck but that was no big deal. I it is a very nice neck. Good luck

11. I've tried and use the warmouth but I don't like the Mighty Mite.

"All Parts" is cool too!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    For those of us on a tight budget MM was the answer, (or just me perhaps) and let us play a gig when we did not have an axe or needed a part for a low cost project. Comparing these necks to Warmoth quality is like comparing a squire to a warwick, we know this already. When i can get a cheap body, a Mighty Might neck, and Duncan pickups and get complimented on my sound by just regular people, maybe I have made a point, I'm not sure. Yes I have played better necks but hey, some of us didn't have $150 bucks to keep the collector value up in our instrument. The only problem i have found with these I wish they had bigger jumbo frets. Also who in their right mind wants to take the neck off every time to adjust the action???? Not me. "One man's CAdillac is another man's Corvette." :bassist: