1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mighty Mite Pickguards: Less than perfect fit?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheFantod, May 1, 2010.

1. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    I've gotten two Mighty Mite red torty pickguards from different sellers on eBay for my MIM P-bass. Neither one of them fit. They both have the same problem. The upper "horn" on the pickguard is too thick, and it throws off the spacings for the screw holes. I thought the first one might have been a fluke. I was able to modify it with a box-cutter & a Dremel, but it's not the prettiest job.

So I got a second one in the mail today, from a different seller, and it has the exact same problem. I can send it back to the seller for an exchange, but I'm afraid I'll get the same thing.

Has anyone else run into this? I'd really like to get a red torty PG for my all black bass, but don't want to shell out $80 for one. The Mighty Mite website claims the 5702 should fit both MIM and MIA P-basses. I know I can contact them, but I doubt they're open on the weekend.

Oh, and I checked it against my Road Worn P-bass, and it has the same problem. The stock PG's from both basses fit the MIM just fine, as well as an aftermarket black PG that I use on the RW. So it's not the basses.

Any ideas?

2. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    The only way I know of to get an exact screw on replacement is to send the existing P/G in for a custom P/G maker to use it as a template.

And even then I would not be shocked to have to tweak something a little.

I made a bunch of custom stuff for myself and friends in the 80's and each was fitted to each instrument by hand. The only way I know of to be absolutely certain.

Unless you get a P/G direct from the manufacturer specifically for you model of bass. I would expect those to fit pretty easily. But again I would expect a little tweaking to be done.

Even the Fender 62RI guard I got from the local shop had to be tweaked a bit to fit my Squier CV. But then, did I say I expected to have to tweak it a bit?