Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mighty Mite pickups...any good ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duckbutter, May 4, 2005.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I was thinking of replacing the p'ups on my SX bass with soapbar p'ups from Mighty Mite, and maybe add a MM p'up in my MIM jazz...any thoughts ?

2. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I actually like their passive 5 string soapbar pickups. Nice and warm and great for only $20 a piece new. They're not Duncans or Dimarzios and certainly not Fralins or anything of that caliber, but for the bucks they're decent. I can't speak for any of their other pickups though.

What SX bass do you have?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't think it'd be much of an upgrade.

4. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I agree with tpylons. You'd just be swapping one set of budget pickups for another. Unless the Mighty-Mites have a different sound that the SX's that you want.

5. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks guys, very good to know. Sounds like you get what you pay for. Think I'm gonna go with some Kent Armstrong, I have one on a Wishbass that I like very much.

BTW...my SX bass is the SX SJB-75C

6. How about the tip of the week?

Stop buying the 5 string Mighty Mite pups. They are the same as the 4 string pups only in a different case. But the 4's are plenty wide enough for a 5. I did some testing with iron powder and found out the bar arrangement of the pups and they were the same - a long and and a short - 3 strings and 2 strings. So they are actually using the 5'er for the 4. Makes sense. It's cheaper to make a smaller case than a different wind.

7. fredgold52

fredgold52

Apr 14, 2009
    I have a cheap Squier P Bass going through an Ampeg BA112. I just changes the stock pickups out for a set of Mighty Mites. The difference in response is considerable. The MM's are somewhat hotter than the stockers. Tone wise, at lower volumes like in a church, they deliver a nice, deep, powerful sound, even through the 112. At higher volumes they will overdrive the amp nicely, if I want them to.

I spent $30 on them and feel pretty good about it.

My set up is low budget all the way. Guitar = $100, Amp = 200, Pup's = $30, Flatwound strings = $30.

Best thing I did to the guitar was to re-work the nut, set the neck angle, set the action and put the flat wounds on it. It makes the sound that I like.