Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mighty Mite Products: Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by OmegaZ27, Sep 23, 2005.

1. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    I'm looking into buying a Jazz Bass neck. I know they're licensed by Fender and it would be a good replacement.

But it ocurred to me that Squier is made by Fender, so... is it possible that Mighty mite products are Squier? Just a thought. I don't know if it's true, just a theory... Anybody have proof or any experience with Mighty Mite products that would help?

2. Ninja>Pirate

Ninja>Pirate Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Saskatchewan Canada
    No, MM is a different company that just made replacement parts for guitars before they were even licensed by Fender. If you are thinking about buying one and are wondering if they are better quality than Squier then yes. Although from what I hear it can be hit and miss with MM, I bought a neck for my strat off ebay for like $80 (maple fingerboard) and it's pretty good, the wood is really good, the finish isn't as nice as I'd hope for, so I sanded it a little. I think on average they are about as good as MIM fender stuff and if you're lucky you might get one as good as MIJ.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have worked with 2 MM strat necks both junk. Twisted and bowed and you could cut your hands on the fret ends. The neck is not the place to skimp on $$. Just my opinion. t

4. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    I would have to agree with Ninja>pirate, I bought a Mighty Mite P-Bass neck with a Maple 'board last spring. I used it on a ribbon striped Mahogany body I built. I am happy with the neck, frets were good, finish is minimal but OK, truss rod good. I used many coats of hand buffed Briwax to augment the minimal satin finish on the neck and it feels great now after a few months of playing. I agree it's about the level of a good MIM Fender neck. As for the guy who had bad luck with the Strat Necks, with any mass produced item sometimes there's some duds.
    Go ahead and order one from a company with a good return policy and if you dont like the feel of the one they send you tell them to send a RO call tag and then send you another better one. I got mine from Guitar Shop Supply/TNT guitars.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think they are inconsistant in their quality control. I bought a fretless neck of theirs, and the truss rod was maxed out with it still loose (not putting any tension on the neck). I took it to a repair shop that does good work and they said there was nothing that could be done about it. Not one to give up easily, I put a 3/8" long spacer on it which gave me a little adjustment before it bottomed out (not enough), so I added another 1/4" spacer. Still not enough. Since I couldn't add any more to the spacers and have the nut still engage the threads I gave up.

I also used a tap to make sure the threads in the nut were good.

Other than that the neck seemed to be well made, but that doesn't matter if you can't adjust the relief.

6. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I just bought one...jazz neck maple rosewood,
    well, I think It's a good neck, not exeptional but well built to be a replacement, maybe the maple it's a bit light and the finiture is inconsistent but the construction seem good enough, with a little better finiture it would be a good neck.