1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Migraine Leaves English Woman with Chinese Accent

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JansenW, Apr 19, 2010.

1. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Severe Migraine Leaves English Woman with Chinese Accent

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,591259,00.html

Foreign Accent Syndrome occurs everywhere, this form of it, for some reason, has never been recognized in China :D

Can anyone post any audio clips of people speaking with FAS?

2. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    azn-supplies.

3. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
  4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    That's crazy! Not only does she talk with an accent but even her inflection sounds foreign. There's more going on than her just mispronouncing words. It's almost as though her brain cannot "remember" her previous method of speaking so it takes accents, words and inflections from other things she's heard and builds a whole new method. Freaky.

Well, it's either that or it simply proves that all Europeans must be brain damaged to talk like that. :p

5. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Haven't seen the clip yet but FAS normally happens after a stroke or a small haemorage causes some damage to the part of the brain that controls speech and the muscles you need to use in your mouth and tongue to form words. She might want to check that it was just a severe migraine.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Classic flick.

bc

7. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I never had a migraine so strong my accent migrated without my permission.

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It's really interesting. I've heard of the syndrome before but I honestly never actually heard someone with it speaking.
    I had always just assumed that they simply mispronounced things and because of that, it may sound sort of like a foreign accent.
    But give this one a listen, check out the inflection and even word choice. A lot of it is atypical of an American. It sounds as though her brain had reconstructed a new way of speaking by "borrowing" things she's heard in the past. I'm curious to get your opinion on it? (or any other non-US, non-Canadian) What sort of accent does it sound like to you?

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I get terrible migraines... but my vocabulary during them usually has a f-word sandwiched in between every other word.

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Just your luck. While others pick up exotic accent inflections, you pick up turrettes

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    No, I'm FUUUUUUUUUUUU---ine right now. Perfectly FUU FFuuuu Fine. ACK.

Know what would be cool though? If everytime I had a migraine I could talk like Ricardo Montalban.... now THAT would be the epitome of cool.

12. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    whoa

13. I wonder if they mean a real chinese accent or 'what people sound like when they mock chinese' accent.

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Before I checked out the other link posted farther down in this thread, I would have thought "mock" Chinese accent, but now? I'm dumbfounded... there's far more to this than just mispronouncing things. I'm now convinced that it is a "real" accent in that, their brain is remembering it from somewhere and using it to replace their former way of speaking due to the damage on the brain.

...or something like that..who knows

15. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    [​IMG]

I could have sworn you meant Tourette's (syndrome). :D

Also, hearing FAS mean anything but Fetal Alcohol Syndrome seems weird to me. :meh:

16. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    yeah, I think I had a case of that a few weeks ago when I woke up on the bathroom floor after a long night of partying.

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    surrounded by half eaten fetuses (feti?)

18. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    [edit]Here is a series on YouTube about Foreign Accent Syndrome... It makes signing almost unintelligible.

Part 1

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Pfft. You say 'tomato' I say 'farkyouicehole'. :p

20. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Interesting. I knew a guy in high school who had lived in the United States all his life but always spoke with a British accent. I never had any idea why, his family didn't have an accent. Dude had Asperger's, I wonder if perhaps there might have been a bit of this going on too. I know he liked the BBC just because their news coverage is better than American media, perhaps his brain just latched on to that?