Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, May 15, 2004.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive had a migraine for the past 6 hours. I also have been throwin up every once in a while. How do you lessen the effect of a migraine?
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Cayenne pepper.....hot sauce.....will open the blood vessels in the brain.....works for me. However, there are different kinds of migraines.....the hot sauce only works for the tension ones I believe.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Take an Ambien or something and just sleep.
  4. you may be dehydrated, or lacking salt.
    cant think of why you might be hurling your guts, except stress? lack of sleep? working out too much?

rest and water/diluting juice. :)
  5. 2 Excedrin Migraine and a long bath usually work for me. The Excedrin usually kicks in about 30-40 minutes..... doesn't completely get rid of the headache, but makes it more bearable.

Microbass... "Hurling your guts" is a common symptom of migraine, along with confusion and heightened sensitivity to light and sound, and not to mention, extreme nausea.
  6. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    My wife has the classic hardcore migrain headaches,
    usually she has to take a perscription medication call Imatrix, it comes in shot or pill form.
    If you have a doctor, consult with them to see what they can do.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I used to get migraine headaches three times a week. I was popping all kinds of headache medicine to just lessen the pain somewhat. I finally got sick of taking all these pills, and just decided I was going to stick it out and bear with the pain. Odd thing is, the headaches slowly started going away. Now I haven't taken any medicine in about 9 years, and have only had the occasional minor headache in all that time. Perhaps the drugs actually help cause migraines as well as dull them. Biotech is Godzilla, hmmm? :ninja:
  8. I have never yet vomitted, however, I have felt sicker than ever during some of my migraine attacks - and I have all of the symptoms you mentioned there! Classic migraine - with aura!

I take Sanomigran daily (drug is Pizotifen), this helps prevent/lessen the effects of an attack. When an attack actually begins I take Imigran (Sumatripan). This helps get me through the attack more easily. You can also take this with a suitable painkiller (I take ibuprofen) to help lessen the impact of the headache when it kicks in.

A migraine usually last 1-2 hours with me, and leaves me feeling groggy for 2-3 days.....they can be a real pain (and I don't mean juts literally!)
  9. hmm i was just remembering something this morning (wow! that doesn't usually happen :meh: ). my ex girlfriend used to have them when she was younger, and what they did to sort ot problem was a small operation on her eyes - she can still see perfectly, just her pupils are quite big (or maybe she was just a drunk and lying to me ;))

sound familiar with anyone?
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well its Monday now. Had it noon Saturday. I dont feel sick anymore but the head still hurts when i lean over or something.. thanks guys. Im getting better and it should be gone soon.
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I lived a migrane hell for a while there. My migrane problem has been cured without taking a single pill. According to my Physio, treating a migrane like a normal headache is treating the symptom but not the cause. 99% of all migranes come from pressure placed on the nerve endings at the base of your skull where your neck meets your backbone. That pressure usually comes from muscle inflamation of some sort - maybe from sitting at your PC too long, constant up and down movement of your head, or propping your chin up with your hand for extended periods of time. Maybe it's just the way you sit.

Either way, she ALWAYS got rid of my migranes by masaging the muscles in my neck, then making me put ice on them for 20 minutes. It worked every time.

We've even worked out how to prevent them. Whenever I feel a migrane comming on, I do a series of neck stretches to allieviate the pressure on the nerve endings. Works almost very time, and if the stretches fail, the ice fixes it.
  12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I know a person* who claims that medical marijuana is quite effective for reliving migraines. In fact, she claims that it is the only thing that works for her. I'm not sure if there is any actual difference between medical and regular marijuana - I've been told that they look, smell and taste the same - but again, this is all hear say. If you're thinking of trying this particular therapy for this or any other ailment, you'd better check your local regulations before partaking of either medical or regular marijuana, it may not be legal in your area even if it is effective, which I'm not sure that it is - but that's what I hear. I do know this one particular migraine sufferer who swears by it.

*disclaimer - this person is not me. Even if you think it is, it is not.
  13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have had a Migraine for over ten years. In the last few years they have calmed down conciderably. Every doctor I have had prescribed something different and I felt I was testing this stuff. I tried Imatrix, it made me more sick. They make beta blockers for the thinning of the blood, also tried'em. I have found sleeping sitting up on the couch in the dark is the best thing for me, and I get the hardcore ones.

There are lots of factors in the causes, diet is one. Certain combination of foods are a big trigger. Caffeine, believe it or not is a BIG one also. But, the biggest factor is STRESS.

Hope you feel better.
  14. :eek:
  15. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i've found that a well placed dental dam solves most medical issues.