migrating to Canada/US

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pat Farrell, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Hey everyone...... I hope this is the right place for this thread!

I'm a 22yr old bassist that's kind of getting over the local scene. I play fretless and fretted and studied jazz at uni and now find that 80% of my gigs are pop or reading gigs (or pretend jazz). The pop ****'s great fun but I'd rather be closer to the BIG gigs if that's what I'm playing.

Anyway I'm playing in a latin/jazz band with a Canadian pianist (I'm in Australia) who has got me thinking of moving to Canada or maybe US for a little while. Any help or comments etc. on how to get a work VISA or wether you think I should even do it?

I'm reasonably well gigged so I'm not naive to the standards required.

Thanks heaps - 'The Pat'
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'd say contact the embassy - they should be able to provide you with all the info you need.

What part of Canada is your pianist from?

Based on what you have said, the U.S. might be a better bet for you - many of their larger cities seem to have good scenes. Here, only Montréal, Toronto and Vancouver can really compete with big U.S. cities.

That said, I've never been to Australia, so I couldn't really say how different it is from here! :)
  3. I know there's more going on in general in the US. I was under the impression that post 9-11 it was pretty hard to get a visa there (especially in our line of work). The other reason I think this pianist suggested Canada was because of the small yet apparently vibrant latin jazz scene (maybe she's just patriotic). It would be nice to get a lesson from Alain Caron though. Then again the States has Kai Eckhardt, Gary Willis, Nathan East, John Patitucci etc.etc.
  4. sorry - I forgot to say that I think the fact that Canada and Australia are both (apparently) Commonwealth countries which you'd think would mean they have migration agreements. I'll check it out.

I'm thinking it might be too soon.
  5. Since you're from Australia it should be fairly easy to move to either. Much easier than say...an asian or eastern european country. AFAIK, Canada is a bit easier to get it, because the US has a long list of people wanting to emigrate.

I guess it all personal preference. Either country would be good. Just pick a country you think you'd be better suited to :)
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    If you smoke weed, canada.

If you want guns, U.S.

thrash is right, come to the U.S. More towns with better scenes...