Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIgus big band

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Rimas, Oct 1, 2002.

1. I just saw them in seattle, and they rocked my socks off. They were so awesome. They sung the spider man theme song in place of the lyrics for 'lord please dont drop that atomic bomb on me'. There werent any extended bass solos, but the guy, yes i forgot is name, was awesome. He was playing mingus' lionshead bass. They played Haitian Fight song, and there was a preshow by Sue Mingus. If they ever come to your town, dont miss it, it was awesome.

2. I completely agree; I saw them in Limerick about two years ago, and they were ****ing amazing!!! They rock.

3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Mingus

4. Yes. I know. I made a booboo. Although I'm sure there is a Mingud big band, who play a load of Darles Mingud's tunes....

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's always an embarassing thing that you can't edit titles of threads.

I tend to type away quickly and then edit all my mistakes out - I invariably miss some and get them later, using the edit function - but if you mess up the title you can't go back!! :(

6. Ahhh! I hadn't noticed the edit function before.....nice one!

7. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, sorry to razz you, its just that both Rimas and yourself made typos on it...

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Who was the bassist; Boris Koslov or Andy McKee? Andy is a pretty tall lanky guy with dark brown hair. I saw them this summer at the Fez in NYC and they were amazing.

Monte

9. Mingus migus mingud... we all know who were talkin about. As far as the bassist, I think It was Boris, because he wasnt tall and lanky, and i know he wasn't american...

10. shrigg

shrigg Beta Tester for AudioKinesis Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    Boris is awesome! Here's a great clip:

11. In case you're not old enough to recognize the tune Boris is playing...........I am :eek: It's called " I don't wanna be kissed".

Here's Miles and Gil's version from "Miles Ahead", just for kicks.

12. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    A friend and I caught them in Seattle last month (sextet version of that same group). Very nice show and I agree about Boris. A lot of fun listening to them all.

Mingus was an evil genius.

13. shrigg

shrigg Beta Tester for AudioKinesis Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    What a cool zombie thread this is turning out to be!

14. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I took a couple girlfriends to see the Orchestra the other night. They were sure impressed by Boris. "Is that how you play the bass?" They just did the festival here, so I think everyone got a major dose.

15. lcdck

lcdck

Dec 8, 2011
    New York, NY
    You are the man!!!!

I've been trying to figure out the name of that tune for the last three months! I knew I heard it before. Ahmad played it.

I'm old enough to recognize it but not young enough to remember the name.

16. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    But he had some great ideas about marketing :cool::

[​IMG]

17. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    Many years ago, in Vienne in France, I saw the Village Vanguard band and the Mingus Big Band on the same bill. VV guys were stunning but the MBB was on a whole other plain. One was craft of the highest order, the other was Art, life and passion.

18. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Pete Jolly also did a nice job on it with Nick Martinis and the wonderful Ralph Pena on bass: "5 o'clock shadows," MGM

P.S. I'm just guessing, but I suspect that Red had more than a little influence on Pena.
    He was a west-coaster around the same time?

19. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Is that a Dampit I see laying on the bass in front of Boris? Tsk! Tsk!
    :D