1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIJ 1991 SR885 wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by njones89, Mar 28, 2015.

1. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    I have a SR885 with AFR (active, single coil with built-in preamp like EMG) pickups and 4 control knobs (no concentric pots). Something was off with the wiring, so I gutted the electronics. I would like to rewire everything from scratch, but 2 things are throwing me off: a balance control with only 1 set of lugs, and I have no experience with active electronics.

Some of the problems I had were a bacon frying sizzling crackling sound when plugged in, and the knobs were not working like they were supposed to. I used a contact cleaner that didn't help much. I am worried that the pickups might be fried but I don't know how to test them. My bandmate thinks it's a bad pot, I think it's just bad wiring. For all I know, it could just be bad wiring.

I did test the volume pot so far with a passive pickup. It works good.

So here's what I have. I have a 25k volume pot, 25k bass tone with 104k mylar cap, M20k treble tone with a 47k pF Y5V ceramic cap, and an M20K balance control with only 1 set of lugs. I just want to bring it back to the way it was: master volume with balance and a treble and bass tone. Please help me. If you have a visual wiring diagram, that would really help me.