Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ '62 RI v. MIJ '70 RI - P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirtrider, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Hello all you Japanese Fender owners. I am about to pull the trigger on a Japanese Fender from Ishibashi and I've narrowed my choices down to two. The 62 and the 70. Both will be in sunburst. I am looking for opinions/expertise regarding both these basses. I like the 62 because it has a larger nut width than the 70, but I'm a sucker for the 70 headstock logo and I think the burst on the 70 seems to be a bit more exciting than on the 60. Both are pleasing to the eye but I wonder if any of you can give some insight on these.

Also, those of you that have ordered from Ishibashi, can you give me an estimate on what I can expect to pay for in import duties? I have no idea how that is calculated and I'm striking out trying to find anything on the net.

Much thanks.

2. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    http://www.excite.co.jp/world/engli...er-j/kanda/bass-index.htm&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2
    I am also considering one of these 70's or 60's models. The link I show here is for a limited line of CIJ basses distributed by Kanda distribution branch of Fender Japan thru Ishibashi ,for one. It is a 62 reissue that has a nicer sunburst ,similar to the Sunburst that 70's "P" you mentioned . Not exactly the same but a little more defined than the other 60's era they make.They make reference at the site about the finish having bolder yellow that Fenders had for a short period of time in that era.

PB62-71US....More Yellow Burst -thru Kanda
    PB62-70US .....Has the duller definition to burst

I also like the large TV logo style headstock of the PB70-80US and the type Sunburts it shows too !!

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
  4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I don't know how much help this will be, but I had a MIJ 60's Re-Issue P-Bass and it was one of the few Fenders that has blown me away. It was white with tort guard, and had mucho mojo. Unfortunately, I had to sell it to appease the GAS gods.

I don't know how much the "62 Re-Issue" varies from the "60's Re-Issue" but I was very pleased with mine, and would kill to have it back. I don't think you could possibly be disappointed with either one. Both MIJ Fenders I've had have been fantastic.

Jake