MIJ '75 Reissue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shirojiro, Jan 25, 2002.

1. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I can't seem to get the action on my Jazz bass as low as I would like.

I searched multiple sites and found some very nice descriptions of how to set one's relief, action, intonation etc. I'm an engineer and a surgeon, so I figured I'd setup my own bass.

For starters, the intonation was good. The action was playable, but higher than I liked, and there was (is) fret buzz at the 5th fret, and others.

I first set up the relief, using a capo at the first fret and fretting the last fret. I set the relief so that I could slide a 0.12 feeler gauge under the midpoint (the 7th fret, I think).

Then, I used the neck tilt to set the action where I like it - around 4/32 on the E string.

Still a ton of fret buzz. In fact, it's worse.

I then decided to try out the bridge saddle height adjusters. I reset the neck tilt to neutral, and then adjusted the bridge saddles. To get rid of the fret buzz, the action is pretty darn high.

I love the sound of this bass, and it's playable, but I prefer low action. I realize that there's always a certain amount of buzz if one digs in hard with low action, but I get buzz even when I 'm playing with a light touch.

Am I doing something totally wrong?

Do I need a fret leveling?

thanks for your collective help,

2. Sounds to me like fret leveling would be worth a shot. I'm baffled by this mystery.
  3. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Well, I raised my action with the bridge pieces, and the E string is 5/32 " off of the last fret. It's higher than I like, but there's much less fret buzz.

Does anyone out there play a non-graphite reinforced Jazz bass with super low action?

4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It could indeed be a fret problem. Try to find out which fret the buzzes are worst on. If it's a fret problem, the next fret up from the worst-buzzing one should be too high (getting it filed down shouldn't cost too much).

The only other thing I can think of is that it's a more complicated neck problem, but my money is on fret problems.