1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIJ '75 Reissue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shirojiro, Jan 25, 2002.

1. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I can't seem to get the action on my Jazz bass as low as I would like.

I searched multiple sites and found some very nice descriptions of how to set one's relief, action, intonation etc. I'm an engineer and a surgeon, so I figured I'd setup my own bass.

For starters, the intonation was good. The action was playable, but higher than I liked, and there was (is) fret buzz at the 5th fret, and others.

I first set up the relief, using a capo at the first fret and fretting the last fret. I set the relief so that I could slide a 0.12 feeler gauge under the midpoint (the 7th fret, I think).

Then, I used the neck tilt to set the action where I like it - around 4/32 on the E string.

Still a ton of fret buzz. In fact, it's worse.

I then decided to try out the bridge saddle height adjusters. I reset the neck tilt to neutral, and then adjusted the bridge saddles. To get rid of the fret buzz, the action is pretty darn high.

I love the sound of this bass, and it's playable, but I prefer low action. I realize that there's always a certain amount of buzz if one digs in hard with low action, but I get buzz even when I 'm playing with a light touch.

Am I doing something totally wrong?

Do I need a fret leveling?

thanks for your collective help,

-Shin

:confused:

2. Sounds to me like fret leveling would be worth a shot. I'm baffled by this mystery.

3. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    :(
    Well, I raised my action with the bridge pieces, and the E string is 5/32 " off of the last fret. It's higher than I like, but there's much less fret buzz.

Does anyone out there play a non-graphite reinforced Jazz bass with super low action?

-Shin

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It could indeed be a fret problem. Try to find out which fret the buzzes are worst on. If it's a fret problem, the next fret up from the worst-buzzing one should be too high (getting it filed down shouldn't cost too much).

The only other thing I can think of is that it's a more complicated neck problem, but my money is on fret problems.