Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ 75 RI jazz for JV-Squire?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Nov 24, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Would it be a fair trade? My nice MIJ 75 reissue jazz bass for a Mint Squire JV-series 50´s (maple fretboard) Precision bass.
    Would you do the trade if you wanted a P-bass?
    Is the JV´s much better quality than new MIJ basses?

2. If you prefer the P tone and neck over the J variety, and if you like the Squier in question more than your J, you've got nothing to loose (but I seem to recall that you like J necks better, am I wrong?). Both are supposedly good basses, with comparable quality, so it's really up to you, your hands, ears, and eyes. Also, the Squier is likely to rise in value with age, if that's a concern.
    I'm not too sure that I'd do the trade myself, though, despite the fact that I'd love a 50's JV. If funds would've allowed it, I'd prefer having both basses for a while, so that I can actually see which one I suited me best - I still kick myself for selling my old Yamaha to buy a Warwick. I wish I'd kept it, 'caues they would've made such a nice pair. :(
    Also, there's nothing wrong with having a good P along with a good J, since they sound and feel a bit different from each other.
    This wasn't very helpful, was it?

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes I do prefer a J-width neck but I am thinking of sacrifice the playability for a sound that I really prefer. Im a little uncertain what to do here. I would like to keep both but my funds dont alow me to do that.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Oh, man. Don't do that. The MIJ 75 reissue is such a nice bass. They are not of equal value. But if you like the Squier, sell the Jazz first, and buy the Squier with cash. You will save money that way.

If you were anywhere close to me, I would want to buy that Jazz from you, for myself!!

5. I'm not too sure about that, dude. Over here, JV:s and MIJ Fenders go for about the same amount on the used market. Actually, a JV will probably cost you more than a MIJ Fender, especially if the JV is a Jazz.
    Anyway, jock, after some thought, I don't think I'd do the trade if I were you. If you like the sound of your J, if not as much as the sound of a P, and you prefer the playability of a J, keep the J. Playability is more important than tone in cases like this, if you ask me.
    Also, have you tried the Robin Ranger that I think still hangs from the wall of Halkan's? If not, do it! It has a P/J set up (Rio Grande pick ups, I suppose) and a sweet playing maple neck. I once tried one side by side with a MIA 57 RI P, and the Robin blew it away. I was about to buy it, but when my pay check arrived, it was gone. :( Great sound, and even greater playability. The one at Halkan's isn't in quite as good shape as the one I tried before, it might have a 32' neck, and it's sparkly blue (read: butt ugly), but none the less nice in all it's queerness. Try it out!