Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shaunathan32, May 16, 2004.

1. shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    70's jazz basses made in japan are considerably lower priced than american ones. What are the main differences you will get? Are they really that much different?
  2. MIJ's are made in Japan, that's about it. Generally, you'll see slightly less quality than the MIAs, but they are well-built instruments. I think they mostly use the same parts as the MIAs. Essentially the same on the whole. Definitely better than MIMs.
  3. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    I have a MIJ made in '97... I don't think there is any difference between it and the MIA's that I've tried...
  4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I've got a 1994 MIJ '75 re-issue that kills. I like it as much as any of the MIA's that I've seen.
  5. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    MIJ or Crafted in J as they now say,have open tuners with no Fender markings on them,non thru body bridge. The routings for electonics are shallower so up grades to pots,pickups can be restricting without rerouting.Necks are not the graphite reinforced ones as MIA. In general hardware is lower grade but very servicable. I like the fact you can get binders and pearl blocks on 75 RI jazz w/ash body.3color burst. I'm talking about "ordered from Japan" basses thru Ishibashi Music.