Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ Fender Jaco Fretless. Help me to decide !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papersen, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´ve just seen a MIJ Fender Jaco Pastorius Model.
    The guy that sells it, is asking about $630 (with Peavey Bass Amp). The bass is in great condition and since I´m planning to record some tunes with a fretless I wondered if it would be a good investment.

So my doubts are:

1- Are there MIA and MIJ for this model ?
    2- Any clues to realize if it´s fake or not ? (I´m not a Fender expert)
    3- I´ve read some reviews that it´s a great bass. Can anybody confirm this ?
    4- Since I´m not planning to keep it, do you think it has a good resale value ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Papersen

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Fender makes 2 different Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass® Fretless
    One is the Artist Series which sells for about $1375.00 retail, which is American Made,
    the other is the Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass® Fretless Relic which comes out of the Fender custom shop for about $3000.00 and has the distressed paint and dings and dents recreated. Also American made.

So my friend whatever you are looking at is not what you are told it is. It's not a Jaco Jazz. I would be very careful.

3. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
  4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    So there´s a MIA version and a cheaper MIJ version, right ?

5. Ask Trane Franks on the Dude Pit board. He lives in Japan, and is very knowledgeable about MIJ Fenders.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Yeah, the MIJ version isn't supposed to be available outside of Japan, but they get around. They're basically Japan's fretless model, I think?

Some dude in here called j-bass bought a MIJ fretless, check some of his posts out. He wrote this review too. http://www.gear-review.co.uk/reviews/jb62_77/

EDIT: In case I didn't say it right, I don't think it's technically a Jaco signature jazz, but it's an approximation of the look of Jaco's jazz bass without the Jaco name.

7. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    After owning a couple MIJ Fenders from the early 90s (MB-5 and 60s Re-Issue Precision) I'd say whether it's an official "Jaco" or not, it's probably worth the money with the amp (if it's a decent amp). What kind of amp is it? You might be able to get $50-100 out of it, depending on the size and all that.