Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ Fender Jazz 1975 RI Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cgworkman, Mar 3, 2005.

1. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Could anyone that owns/has owned a MIJ Fender Jazz 1975 RI chime in on any opinions they might have? Build quality, are they like the real thing? etc? I love the MIA '75 RI (except the price tag), but have heard some good things about the MIJ versions. I searched on here but didn't find much.

Also, any pics would be nice also!

Thanks in advance. :)

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own the MIA version of the bass, The FSR CAR bass to be exact. I had the oportunity to play a used 75RI MIJ bass and found it to be a VERY nice bass also! I would have considered buying it but it was a natural finish w/rosewood neck (I have 2 maple neck natural jazzes already). The sound between the two basses was not quite the same though, I could be that the bridge pup on the MIJ bass is closer to the pup unlike a true 75 bass. But other wise it was nice!

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i've got a MIJ '75 RI Jazz that I've had for about 10+ years and it's a very nice bass. The wood used has very nice grain and figure (i've got the natural finish body with the rosewood neck), the binding and blocks are nicely done. I replaced the stock pickups a long time ago, first with barts and now with fralins (which i traded a guy on here the barts for) and it sounds great. it's a tad heavy though, with the ash body and all, but for the $$$ i think it's a great axe. that said, i'll probably be selling mine soon, since i don't like the narrow jazz neck too much, and i played a stingtray and liked that fat neck better. other than that though, it's a good, solid axe. :bassist:

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I owned one for about five years and it tonewise it was equal to any MIA. I then sold it for a '76 Jazz wich ended up with truss rod problems, live and learn. :bawl:
    Build quality on Japanese Fenders is almost identical to American ones, and they easily put to shame a similarly priced U.S. model (ie. Standard series)
    There are also minor physical differences someone might notice; like the body contours being less rounded than a U.S. '75 RI, metric truss nut, that's about it , really. Nothing that affected the playability, only something a real fanatic would notice. A great bass at a reasonable price.

5. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I have a '91 MIJ 75RI, and it's really a great bass. It needed fretwork when I got it (used), but other than that, it's been fantastic. The tone is great, the neck is super fast, and the build quality is outstanding.

6. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Thanks for the comments thus far. Anybody got any pics?

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I used to have one, and yes the build quality is excellent, but no it's not like the real thing.

The neck is more narrow than a real '75 neck or even an MIA RI neck. MIJ seems to be more of a 60's profile, maybe even a tad narrower than that.

The pickup spacing is also wrong, they have the 60's spacing. The real ones and MIA RI's bridge pickup is closer to the bridge.

Mine was light, just like an MIA RI. Nice bass though....