Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ FENDER JAZZ 5 string help needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kenbuntu, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    is it anygood, can u guys get a sound clip for me thx, because i can get that deal with a case for 325 canadaian. should i get it?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I would go for it. That's pretty good price...

3. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    OH CRAP
    damn forgot its a MIM...damn is it still worth it?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    $325 CAD isn't bad. That's $261.51 USD which I might pay for a bass like that.

However, the B-string generally isn't that great on those.

Does it come with a case?

5. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    yhea it comes wiht a case, and cant i just buy new strings then?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    New strings will help, especially taperwound or exposed core strings, however, the design of the bass doesn't lead to a very taut or good sounding low B.

7. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    thx for the help, but do you think i should get it?

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Why are you looking to buy it, because you're itching for a B string or because you want another bass, or what?

9. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
  10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    T_T, it looks like you want that one only because it's available, not really itching for the B. In that case, I'd pass on it, considering it's only a mediocre instrument IMO.

The Yamaha is a solid instrument, the Ibanez is a little quirky but cool, and I haven't played an Aria under 20 years old, so I can't describe that.

11. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    thx, for the ibanez, ppl said that they dont ship to canada
    and wiht the shipping it maybe come up t o500. the yamaha is 400 and wiht tax itll be 460. I doubt that my parents will let me get the ibanez so shouldi get the yamaha or the jazz, or should i just wait? also, are there any other basses that you would recomend?

12. Yamaha make very decent entry level instruments. The Ibanez is probably on equal par. I wouldn't recommend a MIM Jazz without having played it - the quality is too variable.

Although I haven't played one, many on this site swear by the SX (Essex) brand for Jazz basses - have a look at those perhaps.

If you could save a bit more, the Geddy Lee Jazz is favoured by just about everyone who knows a good bass.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    T_T dude, if you don't know what you want, I say wait. Save your Canuck bucks and one day, you'll be walking around, not planning on falling in love and finding the bass of your dreams right there, and you're gonna wish you didn't buy this thing on a whim.

Just a little helpful advice, believe me, I know it hurts. I've been dealing with chronic GAS for four years, and have owned nearly 30 basses to show for it. Four years later, I found what I like. I gots me a pair of Fenders and a beater fretless.