Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ fender jazz or MIA fender jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnightmare, Sep 11, 2005.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    i've been dying to get a jazz bass for the longest time now and i've been thinking of getting japanese fender and im thinking of buying a '62 ri through isibashi music. but i want some peoples advice, do you think i should get the japanese fender or save up the extra like $400 bucks or so and just get a standard american fender jazz bass? i hear that the japense made fenders are well built and rank pretty much up there with the american ones.

i just want to hear peoples thought on this. thanks.

2. I'm very hapy with My Marcus Miller Jazz Bass than with all MIM active Jazz some people lent me! So I would say, go for it!

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    hi,

i have a cij 62 reissue jazz i got second had. i really like it. i think it sounds fat, it is well put together and looks pretty cool. i bought it second hand

i ordered a 75 reissue jazz from ishibashi. they were great to deal with and the bass arrived in perfect condition. i didn't like the bass so much though and sold it quickly to a friend who loves it. the neck was a bit thick for me.

but i do like my 62.

cheers

4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have a Geddy Lee and its just as good as any American jazz I've owned.

5. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Go for it!! MIJ Jazz bass is well built instrument especially the RI 62' you've mentioned, the extra $400 have no tangible value on it!! :spit:

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Or go the Hwy. 1 route......I bought my Hwy. 1 jazz for a little over $500 and love it! The neck feels great, love the sound of the passive p'ups, pretty much just love everything about it. Everytime I'm thinking about getting a new bass I just break it out and it reminds me why it's my main player.

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yeah,

detail to consider if it bothers you.

the cij 62 will have really think laquer on the back of teh neck. not as fast as the satin finish the the hiway1 from memory.

8. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i got a Geddy Lee bass, the quality and sound is great! you cant go wrong with MIJ basses

9. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    In my quest to LIKE a Jazz bass (I've been a Precision guy for years), I've owned and sold a bunch of Js. The two that I like best I still have, and they're both Japanese.

10. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    sounds good. i currently play a mim p-bass with quarter-pound pickups i love it. but i've been dying for a jazz bass and also having both with give me more versatility. i think i may just have to pull the trigger on it, i just need to figure out which color haha.

11. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    is the neck of the japanese ones similar in feel to a mim?

12. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    hi

not sure, i think the mexi bass still has a satin style finish.

sorry wish i had a picture of my cij bass.

i still find playing on that finish fine though

cheers.

ps. I'd really just go with the cij from ishibashi, you can always sell it if you really hate it, but i love my 62 and it was great value for money.

13. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    hahaha i can't decide should i get black or vintage white?

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You're playing it not us, but I'd personally go for black.

15. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    a quick tip for anyone bothered by this

i'm not keen on shiny lacquer either, and the first thing I did on my MIJ P-bass was to get some very fine wet & dry paper & take the shine off... problem solved in 30 seconds!

16. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    If you are looking for a vintage look, feel and sound, seriously consider the Classic 60's Jazz. IMHO, it is the best bass that comes out of Fender's Mexico factory. I got one a few weeks ago and I just love this bass, and it is not built cheap by any means. No extra routes under the pickguard, vintage styling and damn, this bass sounds good! This is one solid bass.....I paid around $650 new for it.

[​IMG]

17. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    im not a very handy guy nor knowledgable about stuff like that. so i was curious what is wet & dry paper used for? does it kind of like sand the lacquer off? or wipes it away?

18. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    oh yeah how is the action on the MIJ '62 RI? is it nice and low?

19. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    A bit off topic, but I want to know what is the function of the strap button thing on the back of the headstock on 62' bass? It is really for the strap?!

[​IMG]

20. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    As a low action bass player, It is nice I think. But I could say if the action is too low, you will sacrifice a lot of energy in the low end especialy slapping, and because slapping is so percussive, it is a style that can be detrimentally affected if your action is too low. :bawl: