Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ Fender question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Allout, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Allout

Allout

Jan 5, 2001
    A question on Japanese fenders... what is that little piece of metal? between the bridge and the pickup?

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    It's a grounding strap for the bridge. You've probably seen this on a vintage reissue model as certain year MIA basses had it as well.

3. Allout

Allout

Jan 5, 2001
    Thanks... what does it do? What is the point of this and why don't newer MIA or MIM basses have it? Just seems to make the bass a bit uglier.

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The bridge, and the metal strings sitting on the saddles, are electrically grounded. Modern day Fenders have a wire which is routed from underneath the bridge to the pickup route and then over to the control plate, so you can't see it.

5. I think Fender neglected to add in that grounding wire in my Marcus Miller Signature Jazz Bass...

6. Ya know, if that hum was there from the get go, maybe they didn't set it in right. If you sweat a lot, it can cause corrosion over time. I have an old Hagstrom 8 string that this happened to. I just removed the bridge, cleaned up the wire and mating surface, re-installed the bridge, and viola, it was fixed. No mo hum. And while I was in there I noticed that the wood had a little groove in it from the wire, so just a slight re-positioning of it upon re-installation and I'm good to go.