Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ Fender Sting Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cogno, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    Has anyone purchased or tried this bass yet?

2. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves

Jul 16, 2001
    chicago, il
    I don't have one, but there are several glowing reports about this bass on another forum.

They seem like a good deal for the money, as long as you can live with the huge Sting inlay at the 12th fret.

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  4. Looks good Dude! to bad you couldn't have removed that Sting signature. I like Sting but I wouldn't want his name embedded in my fingerboard. Somebody might though. Good luck with the eBay thing.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    is the sting bass worth the money?
    i might buy one, and repaint it.
    they look awsome!
    and i dig the pick up covers!
    i am going to have to do that on mine!

steve

6. So what's the story with these? It looks like a Telecaster bass.

I don't know if I'd like the sig either.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it is a 59 p-bass reissue really.
    that is it.
    i still want one tho

steve

8. Ahh ... forgot the telebass got its looks from the original p basses.

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    It's really sort of a reissue of a late '54-56 P-Bass with the single coil pickup, two saddle bridge, strings through the body bridge and contoured body.

The two saddle bridges that come stock on them while being "vintage corret" don't allow for independant string intonation. That's why I installed a new 4 saddle, string through the body Fender bridge on the Sting.

The chrome bridge & pickup covers look great but the pickup cover does limit where you can pluck the strings....doesn't bother me that much since I play fingerstyle up close to the neck for a fatter sound but I think it my get in the way for most people who rest their thumbs on the top edge of the pickup.

They are great basses for under $600 in my opinion. Many people tend to shy away from the Made in Japan Fenders but the quality of most that I've ever had is exceptional and at a par (or better) that the USA Fenders.

I personally don't mind the 12th fret inlay on the Stings but I know a lot of people don't like it.

10. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have one. Great bass for funk and R+B stuff. Suprisingly wide range of tones with just the one pup and tone control.
    Me likes.

11. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Man that's the truth.

I just tried one the other day and really liked the tone. I was surprised. It really had a great funky vibe to it. Simple round tones, lots of mojo.

I'm not a big sting fan either. The 12th fret inlay isn't really to noticable and didn't bother me. If I didn't just get an mtd heir I'd seriously consider it.

Dude, what's up with this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=889819435

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Saw it pop up last night...not sure what's up. He told me he really dug it when he got it. He paid $900 plus shipping and I had over $1,000 total invested in that bass. He must be like the rest of us and found something else he wants more.

13. Ouch, a new Sting Precision cost $850 CDN (~$500 US) in Vancouver, BC.

14. Dude. Didn't you just sell that bass two weeks ago.
    I guess the one who bought it didn't like it:eek: It looks like a nice bass. but I really can't figure why you would want spend all that money to refinish the Sting bass? Why Black? ....Unless the factory fishish was Fu#ked in the first place. I bet your glad you got rid of that one? Whatever:rolleyes:

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yeah, that's the one I sold a few weeks ago. I originally wanted to do the refin in metallic turquoise like the 1955 Fender NAMM show bass but Michael Dolan couldn't match the color so I told him to just do it piano black. It turned out great.

Sunbursts bore the snot out of me I guess plus I'm a sucker for a matching headstock!

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've tried one. The setup was pretty horrible (or maybe they just play slow). But the sound wasn't bad at all! It has a nice low-mid bark. And it sounds decent when slapped too.

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Low-Mid bark is right! I really dig these basses (the inlay doesn't bother me). The only thing that I do to them right off the bat is replace the stock two saddle bridge with a Fender Deluxe Strings-through 4 saddle bridge.

[​IMG]

The black one that's up on eBay I replaced the stock pickup with a Duncan SCPB-2 "Hot" pickup and it improved it a bit but not that much IMO so the new one I have in now I'm going to try a Duncan Quarter Pounder in it.

Not sure if I'll go to the expense of having Dolan refin this next one or not.

The Sting's are great basses if you only do 2 things to them:

1) Replace the bridge

2) Take wire cutters to the POS stock Fender strings they come with and put on a decent set of strings. The first one I put on TI Jazz Flats and this one I have Rotosound RS55LD Pressurewounds which I like but I'll probably pop on a set of TI Powerbass strings on it.

18. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Do you play your Sting above, over, or below the single pickup?

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I no longer own that bass but I generally play all my basses right up at the neck and rest my right thumb on the end of the neck....I like a very fat tone.

20. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Dude, do you rest your elbow or forearm on the body of the bass? How do you prevent wrist pain from having your wrist bent? And how high/low do you hang it?
    I'm still trying to find the best position.