MIJ Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Hello people

My Jazz is a MIJ (lefty) and i think its a really nice instrument. Done me well over the years. Its one of the 93 30th Anniversary Reissues, in Olympic White with the Tortoisehell Guard. (I'll post a pic) The quality is really good, however i am thinking of putting a badass II bridge and some hot pickups into it.

Please post your thoughts, especially on the quality, ideas etc
  2. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    I love the MIJ jazzes! They are super tone machines. IMO I'd stock it with some Lindy Fralin pups and do the Badass bridge! Those bridges are like resonant rocks! Super solid and great to maintain your J-Basses tone! If you did not buy the Lindy Fralin's, pick up a set of Aero jbass pickups! They along with the Fralin's are "vintage savy" and provide a super clear tone!
  3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    +1 for MIJ Fenders!

My main bass is a '88 MIJ unlined fretless Jazz, Same white as yours, but now with a black pearl 'guard, EMG's, a Schaller roller bridge, straplocks, new tuners...I think the only part that is still Fender is the wood and the neckplate. :eyebrow:
  4. Sounds like it's an awesome bass. Maybe throwing some stacked pups like Barts, or Seymours, that will eliminate any hum when you solo either pup. Also, IMO, stick with passive, I've really grown to appreciate the tone of passive pups. As far as preamps, check out the Sadowsky outboard Pre/DI pedal, then you can use it with many different basses. Badass brides are pretty damn awesome too.
  5. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I want pics!! I wanna see what a white bass loocks like with a tort pickguard im thinking about doing that to my white strat
  6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i've got a mij 75 ri jazz (which i'll probably sell soon- have never gotten used to the jazz width neck), but it is a nice, quality axe. mine is the natural finish with an ash body, and it's a very pretty piece of wood- great grain patterns. i've got the bound rosewood neck, which is also nice- some nice flame in the maple on the back. i had a badass 2 on it, but put the original back on- no real reason, but i had misplaced the allen wrenches for it, so i couldn't adjust it (their an odd size (small)), but i have a set of fralins which i got from a guy off of here (traded the stacked barts i had in it), and it sounds great! i wouldn't worry about mods on fenders too much- you can get parts that fit exact so if you change your mind or are worried about resale value, you can get it back to original specs with little to no problems. just remember if you get a badass 2, you're supposed to have it professionally installed so the saddles can be filed down. i've had mine for 10+ years and it has held up well (the fact that i hardly play anymore helps though), but i played a stingray 4 a month ago and that fat neck just fit my hand better... :bassist:
  7. Fire bad- unless you're freezing to death. I love my MIJ P. Just decided not to sell it.
  8. thanks guys - advice and feedback all good!

yep, my jazz is a tone machine. i love the growl i get when i dig in a little hard, bring tears to my eyes.

trying to post pics but they are all too large - dunno how to reduce file size. i'll keep trying.

the fralins sound like a good option, not that im unhappy with the stock pups, just thought a bit of hotrodding would be awesome.
  9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I wouldn't bother with the BAII bridge, but dropping some Fralins or Aeros or Bill Lawrence pups in might be nice. If you really need a new bridge, I'd go with a Gotoh.
  10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    From what I hear (This is subjective) the MIJ's are far superior to any other fender (MIA, MIM, MIA deluxe, MIA signature) and they could even rival some Custom shop fenders.
  11. wow, i hadn't heard that. i do know that my particular bass is exceptionally well made and has been a trusty workhorse for some years now.

i can dial in just about any sound i want - it has a funky brightness for slapping, even with the rosewood fretboard and can get dark and nasty with only minor tonal adjustment.

i will never let this one go.....
  12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the geddy lee is made in japan, isn't it? i've checked out a few of them, and they were all pretty darn nice.

southpaw, check out the j-retro preamp, if you want to do some upgrading. very cool replacement preamp for the jazz bass, i love the way it sounds.
  13. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If I were starting over on mine today, in stead of the EMG preamp and the Schaller bridge, I would probably get a J-retro and a BAII.
  14. i would walk over hot coals for a lefty Geddy signature - haven't heard a bad word about them and Geddy is like a god to me :) so i would want one even if they were boat oars.

Fender, in their wisdom, don't make a lefty Ged however - boo to them.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will probably try to shop for my upgrades online (cheaper, as JT taught me). Any advice on a decent online parts shop that will ship to Oz?
  15. CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    J-Retro! ahem..sorry...j-retro.
  16. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Sorry to differ, but my MIJ Fender was no match for my American Deluxes. :rollno:
  17. the geddy is a MIJ instrument and as i said, all the players here rave about them (damn you fender - make afreakin lefty!!!!)

I think petch has a point, the deluxes would have to be better than the MIJ's wouldn't they? You couldn't throw an extra grand on a deluxe if it wasn't better than the japanese.

But, as we all know, individual instruments differ, regardless of where they are made. Im just satisfied that my Jazz is a great instrument that I will never part with, even if it isn't a MIA or a deluxe or a Custom Shop.
  18. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    This is very true. My MIJ Jazz was 'just' a standard Jazz when I got it. I was hoping to upgrade to a MIA of some kind. I have never found another Fender bass that is as good. One of the two Sadowsky's I have ever played was better. The other was not as good.

I'm keeping her at least till I die, maybe longer.
  19. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I just dropped a J retro and BAII into my '78 jazz and the different is amazing. I left the original pickups in and its AWESOME.

My wife bought me a fretless MIJ jazz over 10 years ago. It is still one of the best basses I own. I put in EMGs and a BAII and it sounds great live and on tape.

Definitely get the bridge. The preamp is subjective. I also have the Sadowsky DI/pedal and the aguilar DB924. All sound great but very different
  20. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    count me in! My MIJ 62 reissue is my go to bass. I went with the Gotoh 201 direct drop in replacement bridge, Alembic Activator pickup system, some custom knobs and a set of TI flats. I just love the sounds this baby gets.