Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, May 9, 2004.

1. Are fenders that are made in japan worse, better, the same as other american or mexican made fenders. i see alot of them around liek ebay and other internet store and them seem cheaper then americans but more then the mexican made ones. can anyone clear up the differences of the japenese made fenders? thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Better than mexican, usualy a little worse than american.

3. thanks

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Hehehe they are not worse than USA, I can't believe he said that HAHAHAHA this is just hilarious. The only difference is that they are made in a different country, IME japanese tech and construction is as good if not better than USA. Also if you feel better knowing this, the quality control is still in the USA. Just compare a USA to a Japanese bass and you tell me.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have played MIA Fenders that blew MIJ fenders away, and i have played MIj Fenders that blew MIA fenders away. The Quality control is better in Japan IMO but when you find a gem thats MIA its really nice.

IMO

6. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    That's cool, you should have said that man in the first place;) Noone can deny that if you can get a vintage USA made jazz it's a best buy but they are not "better":)

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And im one to tell you that. Ive been GASing for a MIJ fender jazz special for a while but i dont know why?! I have a Godin SD bass with Bartolini pickups and it plays and sounds great and i dont need a new bass (i also have a Spector Q5 and an Essex fretless) but yet wenever i see a MIJ fender i go "ooooh, pretty".

8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

I know how you feel, I get the same feeling when I see a 75 reissue MIJ;)

9. Born

Born

Apr 29, 2004
    Barcelona (Spain)
    I've bought a MIJ Marcus Miller Jazz Bass, and I find it's really nicely finished, and it has the same quality (or even more) than many MIA jazz basses.

I'd like to say, though, that there is not a MIA Marcus Miller Jazz Bass, so it's not possible to make a really fair comparison.

:rolleyes:

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own 6 MIA's and 3 MIJ basses. while the MIJ basses are definately a good value I would not say they are better than the MIA basses The GL and the MM bass both have bound necks so it's hard to tell what the fret job is really like. My MIA 75 RI has an excellent neck and fret job. My sting bass has a good fret job, not great. The MIJ stuff feels different due to the gloss neck.
    It shines much nicer. The pups and pots also may be a week point for the MIJ basses. The pups on the GL and the MM basses are "vintage jazz" pups, not "American vintage jazz" pups. believe me they sound different. Lots of people say the price difference is not warranted but anyone who owns a few of both will probably tell youit is.
    Take the 75RI bass: the MIA is a true 75RI while the MIJ bass has the normal pup spacing with "vintage" pups The MIA bass not only looks, feels, but sounds like the 75RI. Not so with the MIJ bass.
    As for the Marcus Miller jazz, They now make a five string MM bass and it IS MIA. Check it out and get back to us. (I did and I know the answer). I love the Geddy Lee bass and stop short of buying it probably 10 times due to neck issues with demo models Iv'e played. All demo basses on display suffer from climactic changes, humidity changes, and all around abuse but once you get a bass home and it settles down fewer problems arise. My MM jazz's neck must have all the strings loosened in order to adjust the truss rod. From time to time it needs a relief adjustment. My Sting gets Very little playing time and will either end up at my Moms house or sold. The bottom line is how the instrument is set up, and iv'e noticed the MIA stuff takes a better setup and needs no parts upgraded, were as the MIJ stuff is ripe not only for that type of thinking(upgrades) but lends nicely to modifications. People who want more than a MIM bass but don't want to spend MIA money will go for the MIJ stuff. Next thing you know they've changed the tuners, pups, added a J-retro. Yet they thought it was as good or better than a MIA bass when they purchased it! Now with all that money spent they shoud have gotten a MIA bass from the beginning. I not saying the MIJ bass is anything less than it is, what I am saying that is the MIA bass is a buy it and play bass with no need for any kind of upgrades needed. JMHO

11. Ditto!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

Good point, thanks, it opened my eyes for different aspects.

13. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    The Q.C. is so bad at Fender IMHO that it does not matter where they are made. I have played MIM jazz that SMOKED a MIA jazz.... and visa versa. The MIJ Fenders for me have been the same way. I think the single biggest factor for Fender right now is there QC. Two years ago I was all set to drop $1300 on a MIA jazz bass but ended up with a MIM p-bass. The QC on the eight MIA basses was awfull. The P I bought was passable but only after SERIOUS tweeking by a local shop here in town. SD basslines also helped...The whole thing was frustrating... :confused: I think my next purchase will be a wood sandwich or a J from Roger. I am getting tired of buying second rate gear.

14. I am pretty sure the 5 string marcus miller is MIA

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I just bought a Victor Bailey jazz bass, $1450.00 brand new. I ordered it sight unseen and had never touched one before! I put $1000.00 down and waited for it to come. I said to myself if I didn't like it or want it I would not take delivery. well after a 7 day wait it arrived a the store I ordered from. I opened the box, took the case out and opened it. I took out the bass and looked it over then walked over to an amp. Damm! this thing is awesome! I said to myself "I like this s**t" . the bass was perfect with the only gripe being the action a tad high for my likeing. I have played out with this bass 4 times in 7 day's.

Again, I have never bought a new Fender (in the case and box) or just out the box that I was unhappy with. I am sick of people sayin this that and the other about basses that are considered new but hanging on a wall for a year. It's a piece of wood for heavens sakes, If you put a Fender next to a Bass of equal value on the wall there is not much difference after a while. The only exception I would say would be a Lakland Skyline, but try to find one of those hanging on anybodies wall!

16. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I am glad your new jazz is to your likeing....I have heard those Victor jazz bass are a great tone machine. :bassist:
    Funk is never a bad word.... :D

17. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    By the same token there are MIM Fenders that will blow away MIJ and MIA. Want a Fender play it before you buy it. Unless it is bought right here on Talkbass. I find the TB family is fairly trustworthy on condition of the basses sold. NO way I would buy off EBAY!!

tk

18. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I bought a MM jazz a while ago and the tone is great. I don't like the tuners though, very stiff and they seem to be 'backward'. I had it tuned at a local shop and the action is mighty low and fast. Anybody had this issue with the tuning pegs? Any suggestions for recommendations for replacements?

19. They are "Vintage Style Reverse Tuning Machines" :D

I guess Marcus Miller had those on his Jazz Bass.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  20. I have a MIJ Strat (a guitar, I know... I'm sorry :smug: ). And it smokes! Great quality, and it feels really solid.

Since a week I'm tortured by a MIJ jazz fretless in my favourite colour-combo (white, aged since the bass is a '85er and a tort guard). It's quite a bargain but it's just that I don't know if I can incorporate a fretless in my playing.