Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ fretless Jazz vs. MIM fretless Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Palomorado, Apr 18, 2004.

1. okay...

i have the following two basses i'm considering:

1999 Fender MIJ Jazz Fretless ($360)

or

2001 Fender MIM Jazz Fretless ($300)

i like the color of the MIM better but i believe the MIJ is a better bass.
    i have new pups and pots for which ever i get.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

2. Easy one IMO.....

MIJ

3. i agree

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Agreed.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Tell you guys a story...

Just TODAY, I was @ GC comparing Fender J necks to P necks... Well, I picked up this MIM P-bass, & there must've been a 10th of an inch, fret overhang on either side of the neck...

Sliding my hand up & down the neck,, LITERALLY,, resulted in me cutting my fingers...

I'll NEVER own an MIM ANYTHING....

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Too bad. Some of them are quite good. This tells me that the bass has been there for sometime, wasn't cared for by GC, and has experienced some humidity changes.

Dan

7. MIMs are hit or miss. There are really good ones and really bad ones. I happen to love my MIM jazz and am considering another one in a fretless version. Nothing wrong with a bass that says made in mexico on it. They are inexpensive and mine is slowly becoming my workhorse once again.

MIJ are always great basses everytime I've played one. I say take the one that you like the best.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have seen new KSD basses with frets coming out of the neck due to humidity problems. Some basses suffer more than others especially when a bass hangs on the wall and is subject to open and closing doors, constant changes of temperature in showrooms. I have two MIM p's and one MIM DLX jazz that feel fine. most of my basses undergo neck adjustments when the weather changes, some times they need relief and other times they need ever so slight bow taken out. And that goes for my MIM, MIJ and MIA basses. all of my basses are wood and wood changes with humidity, That's the way it is.

9. What Pyrohr said! I'd go with the MIJ (I play one) but why do you want to swap out pups and pots on an instrument you don't even own yet? I've owned 2 MIJ fretless Jazzes and I think the stock pups and electronics are just fine.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I know, I know... You can find some worthwhile MIM's... Trick is, make sure you love the instrument first. Hit or Miss is an understatement, IMHO.

11. Thanks for all of the opinions!

i was just curious because i have a MIM J bass from 2003 that i switched the pups, caps, wiring, bridge, tuner, and nut and now it is a killer!!!

but the MIJ seemed like the better all around instrument.

so, i bought the MIJ this morning.
    the pups are better then the ones that came with my MIM but i have a set of Antiquity II's that are just screaming to be put in something.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

one last question:

can i put a '62 RI pickguard on the MIJ?

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    You should be able to. Notice I said should, not will . Usually they mate up just fine. But when I decided I didn't want the tort guard that I had replaced the white guard with anymore, and switched to a black pearl guard...it didn't sit right and I had to move two holes. :spit:

So, in summary: Stock MIJ Jazz fretless came with white guard > changed to tort guard, went just fine. > changed to black pearl guard, was other than fine, but I coped.

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    FWIW....MIM necks are made in California.

14. Maybe, don't know......

But not as well as the ones that go on the MIA's

15. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Someone posted a link to a factory tour of the Mexican facility. It may just have been from the Fender website. I can't recall. Anyhow, they state on the website that the necks are made in California.

I fully agree with you though, they generally are not as good.

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    And so are the bodies. they are painted and assembled in Mexico.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yeah but bad/inconsistent necks get made everywhere. My sons Squier is a better bass than my first bass was. That was my whole goal when I got it for him. It was made in Indonesia.

Strangely, the neck is better than the last MIA Fender I played. Draw your own conclusions. :bag: