SOLD MIJ Ibanez 70’s lawsuit era Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Ayalt, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Ayalt

Ayalt Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Price:
    $650
    Strings:
    United States
    Up for sale an early 70’s Ibanez Jazz Bass (also known as model 2365b)

This bass sounds huge, has a very comfortable neck, and while being on the heavier side it balances better than any other bass I own.

It was most like built between 71 and 75 and is identical in all ways (except for the decal) to the Matsumoku made Greco JB450.

As the pictures show the bass has its fair share of dings and imperfections from 50 years of playing, it does however play very well and feels extremely solid.

The bass features a Mahogany body sandwiched between front and back veneers that look like Ash, and a three piece maple neck with a Rosewood fingerboard.

As the pictures show the binding is all intact and the block inlays complete the classic Fender-esque look.

The original pickups are long gone and instead, what we have here is a pair of Seymour Duncan noiseless (stacked design) J style pickups from the 80’s. The pickups on early 70’s MIJ stuff are known to be the weak point of these basses so while not being original this is a welcome improvement.

The bridge - this bass came to me with a Baddass bridge with very poorly slotted saddles. In order to get it as close as possible to its original condition I sourced an aftermarket vintage style bridge that conforms to the 6 screw pattern that many of the lawsuit basses from those years have.

While at it I replaced the tiny strap buttons it came with to more solid traditional looking ones.

The tuning keys, string tree, and truss rod cover are all original (Truss rod cover will be included, I personally just prefer the look without it)

This bass just came back from a setup by Mas Hino (Olinto, Pensa), it has a very nice action, clean sound and a fresh set of Labella strings.

PXL_20210817_160719851.jpg
    PXL_20210817_160708576.jpg PXL_20210817_160746418.jpg
    PXL_20210817_160753389.jpg PXL_20210321_235831708.jpg PXL_20210817_161242659.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  2. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    GLWTS

3. Ayalt

Ayalt Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Price reduced to $650

4. SlowpokeJoe

SlowpokeJoe Supporting Member

That bass was most likely made but FujiGen and not Matsumoku, but it's still a quality piece!

sonojono likes this.
  5. Ayalt

Ayalt Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Interesting... Just out if curiosity - what makes you think it's a Fujigen?
    Early Matsumoku like Aria, and Epiphone all have this 3 piece neck construction which led me to think this one was made there but I'm curious about what's your take about it.

6. SlowpokeJoe

Historical bits of Googlery which seems to point out that if Matsumoku made Ibanez instruments that that relationship was likely over by the late 60's and also some tell tale signs like the lack of the "STEEL REINFORCED NECK" text on the neck plate which is a sure fire way to spot a Matsumoku.

The small "Made in Japan" neck plate text tends to show up on FujiGens.

I could also be way off.

7. Ayalt

Ayalt Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    STEEL REINFORCED NECK is definitely a Matsumoku signature. I know that early 70's Greco's were made in Matsumoku, and since this Ibanez bass is identical to those Greco models I assumed it's coming from there. In any case like you said, wherever it was made, this bass is quite a piece. Thanks for chiming in

SlowpokeJoe likes this.
  8. SlowpokeJoe

FujiGen instruments from this era are every bit as good as Matsumoku stuff!

daveonbass, slagheap and Ayalt like this.
  9. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    i've owned three ibanez, P & PJ, all roadstar II. whale tail peghead but with the small sleek tuners, not the heart shaped jobs, all made '83 - '85 only. excellent instruments. where were those made ( i mean, yeah, japan, but where? )

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  10. Ayalt

Ayalt Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    At first I thought it was made in Matsumoku but the more I look into it I'm thinking it's most probably made in the FujiGen plant in the early 70 since it shares a lot of features with Greco and Carlo Robelli made around that time. Roadsters are indeed nice basses but they are a little bit more of an original design of Ibanez rather than an attempt to out-fender the fender basses of that time.

11. RickyTee

RickyTee

Nov 26, 2015
    London On Canada
    I have and have owned several Aria, Greco and Fernandes jazz compies for 1974-1979 and have never seen them with stack (possibly hum cancelling) pickups. Intersting

12. Ayalt

Ayalt Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    You're right! To my knowledge none of the brands you mentioned had hum cancelling pickups coming stock with thier basses. I own an early 70's Aria jazz (before it was Aria pro II) and while it is a killer bass the stock pickups were terrible. Not only they were wired wrong, the magnets were actually the same polarity on both pickups. My point is - I don't know how good the pickups on early Ibanez basses were, but this Seymour Duncan set is probably more than a decent replacement to the stock stuff. I have to say though, I'm not a big fan of those maroon covers

13. K. Powell

K. Powell Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Does your price include shipping and does it have a case or gig bag?

14. Ayalt

Ayalt Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I can include a gig bag for no additional fee, nothing fancy but it'll add some protection.
    Depending on where you are we might be able to work out an even split on the shipping.

15. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy

Jan 9, 2007
    Whether built by Matsumoku, Fujigen, Fujimoku, or forged from the same depths as the Ten Rings, this is a great looking bass with a lot of character! GLWTS!

Ayalt and Obese Chess like this.
  16. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Not sure why I cannot pm you but I would like to propose a trade.

17. Ayalt

Ayalt Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    PM'd

Tomis17 likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022