1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIJ Jazz 62RI Alder vs Basswood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Agito, May 2, 2010.

1. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a Japanese jazz
    And I've seen there are 2 types, the JB62-US that comes with alder body and us pickups and the basswood body which comes with Japanese pups

Now, I'm not looking for exactly traditional j sound (Already got an MIA Jazz, I want another one, or two or more)
    I was thinking more of a "Japanese" bass type of sound.

Well that's it

I would like to know if the differences are big by sound and so on.

Thank you

2. I have owned and played more than one MIJ reissue with a basswood body. None of them had that great Fender tone I was looking for. I personally would never get a basswood body RI.

Kikegg likes this.
  3. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    "'Japanese' bass type of sound."

non-sarcastically, I don't know that I have ever heard that, or better yet, listened for it. I was always trying to get US sound out of a lower priced bass. I agree the MIJ were built better than some of modern day US for half the price.... could I pick one out in a blind listening test.... no.

May I ask you to clarify, if for only my benefit?

4. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    In the case of these 2 basses, there is more than just Alder vs Basswood going on here.

2 different levels at 2 different price points.

As far as a Fender "Japanese tone"..... I can only think that would be a result of the Japanese made pickups....which from my experience.....are not so great.

JB62-US ¥99,750
    99 750 Japanese yen = 1 060.941 U.S. dollars

BODY ALDER
    NECK MAPLE OVAL TYPE and 432SCALE
    FRETBOARD ROSEWOOD, 184R and 20F VINTAGE
    MACHINE HEAD MHB-FB3 NI
    NUT WIDTH 38mm
    PICKUPS J B VINTAGE (U.S.A.) x 2
    CONTROLS & SWITCH 2VOL and 1TONE
    BRIDGE SPIRAL VINTAGE

JB62 ¥79,800
    79 800 Japanese yen = 848.7528 U.S. dollars

BODY BASSWOOD
    NECK MAPLE OVAL TYPE and 432SCALE
    FRETBOARD ROSEWOOD, 184R and 20F VINTAGE
    MACHINE HEAD MHB-GB1 NI
    NUT WIDTH 38mm
    PICKUPS JB SINGLE (JAPAN) x 2
    CONTROLS & SWITCH 2VOL and 1TONE
    BRIDGE VINTAGE

That $211 dollars for USA pups + better quality bridge and tuners is not a bad deal...and of course the Alder over Basswood body.

Of course if you were planning on putting in your own choice of pickups and bridge....then maybe it's better to save the $.

I just did a swap of a Basswood to Alder body with all other things being equal and I feel I can hear a difference....not earth shattering....just louder acoustically, a little more punchier, a tad brighter in a good way and I lose almost 1.5 pounds in the deal.....which I like.

That said, it was a fine bass before and I love my Basswood Squier CV P bass. Super light and great tone.

5. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Basically I don't want exactly the US sound, I want a Japanese J Bass that can sometimes be used to get a Japanese rock sound and some all-round Jazz sounds

I know it's not an American Jazz bass but I heard good stuff regarding these basses, the question is if Basswood is same as alder or it sucks?

EDIT: I wanted to say I want less punch, I want to play smoothly, without excessive "punch" or kind of "thump" like P-bass with flats.

6. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    So from what I'm reading over and over again basswood is no good huh?

7. No,that's not true. I do not prefer Basswood on the RI models but then again it doesn't sound like you want the traditional reissue sound. I am actually confused as to what tone you are going for. Is Japanese rock different than rock in other countries?

Look for an 80's era MIJ standard. Those are great/well made basses and lots of them have basswood bodies.

8. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Hmm lets say the sound here:

It's not the same sound as my MIA Jazz but it sounds like a jazz bass and I really dig that sound.

9. Nothing wrong with basswood at all

nerkoids likes this.
  10. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    So, should I go with Alder or Basswood? I'm looking for a different Jazz tone (there are few :p)

11. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Or should I go with Bassalderwood O:?
    A small bump for the Japanese Jazzes :(

12. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    There are so many things that can change the tone of a bass (esp. when you record and mix it) that this could very well be the sound of a MIA jazz bass. In this example I don't think there is anyone on the planet who could hear the difference between basswood and alder.

13. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    I'll explain what I mean:
    Sometimes I hear in Japanese songs a Jazz tone but for some reason it's not the same as my MIA Jazz bass though I tried different EQ settings etc.
    It got a smoother lighter sound which I really dig so I believe it will be one of the Japanese jazz basses

I can get either the JB62 or the JB62US, the question is if the 200-300$ difference worth it, though I lean towards the basswood...

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Basswood and Alder bodies are really, really close tonally. Both are smooth. the largest difference you'll hear is in the upgraded hardware. Personally - I'd look for a late 80's to early 90's MIJ JB and say the heck with the wood... those basses rock!

15. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Cool, I'll see if I can get a JB from the 80's, but most likely I'll buy the Fender JB62 with the basswood.

16. I think it depends more on the individual piece of wood. I have a basswood 62 RI and it's one of my favourite basses - and I've got a few!

17. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    I'm going for the MIJ 62RI with the basswood!
    BANZAIIIIIIIIIII

18. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I dont think its more the issue of basswood being no good.. its more the issue of, the basswood bodied MIJ Fenders are a cheaper bass with cheaper components..

Just like they have a more expensive alder model with a nitro finish, 2pc body and US hardware as well.. better? Just better made.

19. Jinobass1

Jinobass1

Feb 28, 2017
    I think basswood has good mids!
    82-84 MIJ is incredible & some of them are better than American vintage(now days AMRI ,they use alnico magnets and
    Sounds close to the real vintage fender.
    If U can get alnico pickups from :
    fender, Duncan antiquty(I is 60’s II is 70’s vibe)Lindy,bartollini Z axis,Nordstrand the tone will be like day & night!

Found this on da web:
    AlNiCo magnets are a mix of cobalt and aluminum, and they provide some of the best sounds. You will see them in different level ranging from I to V. For softer sounds, use II and III and for more treble, “hotter” sounds, use and IV and V. For a vintage sound, use II specifically.

20. flatwound62p

flatwound62p

Apr 24, 2017
    Australia
    The exact model number can help with getting an idea of the quality level and where it sat in the product range. Eg JB62-75 means it sold new for 75000 yen, JB62-85 sold new for 85000 yen etc.