MIJ Jazz Bass - should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fliptrique, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification

An early `90 MIJ Jazz Bass. Could be mine for about 300-350 bucks. Should I consider it? I WILL get a chance to test it on my own equipment, but I don`t know if it`s worth 350 bucks... help me out guys...
  2. As far as quality goes, MIJ is outstanding. At $350 I don't think you are going to get burned. Even though it says "Jazz" on the head stock, it really is P body with a J bridge PU and J neck. Many folks (including me) think that is a pretty good combination. This model is often refered to as a Precision/Jazz. Good luck
  3. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had a candy apple red one of those it was a great bass, I don't think you can go wrong with any MIJ Fender, especially for 300 bucks.
  4. Agreed. Give it a good test drive, and then buy it.
  5. i'd be happy to buy that bass for $300. it's a sexy color, too.

6. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    it is 100%,without a doubt a great bass,i am a fan of fender japan,i would take one over a squire or mex and i would have to line them up side by side to decide over an american made fender,i own a 87 p/j bass special japan made and i love it,i put dimarzio's on it+a bad ass bridge and never looked at another bass since,the only thing about f/japan i'm not crazy about is there p/ups,some years are a little flat IMO.like mine was so i made the up-grade and it sounds as good as any fender(passive) i have EVER played, i paid 300.00$ for it and that seems about the going rate though some people try to get more if possible,i am currently looking for a japan j/bass,mine is a mex and am not thrilled with it,wich is not fair because though it is one of the best mex fenders i've played(slight mods made) it cant touch my japan model p/j and to me thats an unfair comparison.
    good luck,you wont be disapointed:bassist:
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    NO!!! Stay clear of those things!!!

BTW, where is this being sold? :D
  8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'd say if it is in good shape and you like it, buy it. I am building a warmoth bass with a P body, Jazz neck, and P/J pickups and let me tell you, it will cost me easily 2.5 times more than that bass will cost you. (Of course, I'm doing all high end parts tho').