1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIJ Jazz Bass - should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fliptrique, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An early `90 MIJ Jazz Bass. Could be mine for about 300-350 bucks. Should I consider it? I WILL get a chance to test it on my own equipment, but I don`t know if it`s worth 350 bucks... help me out guys...

2. As far as quality goes, MIJ is outstanding. At $350 I don't think you are going to get burned. Even though it says "Jazz" on the head stock, it really is P body with a J bridge PU and J neck. Many folks (including me) think that is a pretty good combination. This model is often refered to as a Precision/Jazz. Good luck

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had a candy apple red one of those it was a great bass, I don't think you can go wrong with any MIJ Fender, especially for 300 bucks.

4. Agreed. Give it a good test drive, and then buy it.

5. i'd be happy to buy that bass for $300. it's a sexy color, too.

robb.

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    it is 100%,without a doubt a great bass,i am a fan of fender japan,i would take one over a squire or mex and i would have to line them up side by side to decide over an american made fender,i own a 87 p/j bass special japan made and i love it,i put dimarzio's on it+a bad ass bridge and never looked at another bass since,the only thing about f/japan i'm not crazy about is there p/ups,some years are a little flat IMO.like mine was so i made the up-grade and it sounds as good as any fender(passive) i have EVER played, i paid 300.00$ for it and that seems about the going rate though some people try to get more if possible,i am currently looking for a japan j/bass,mine is a mex and am not thrilled with it,wich is not fair because though it is one of the best mex fenders i've played(slight mods made) it cant touch my japan model p/j and to me thats an unfair comparison.
    good luck,you wont be disapointed:bassist:

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    NO!!! Stay clear of those things!!!

BTW, where is this being sold? :D

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'd say if it is in good shape and you like it, buy it. I am building a warmoth bass with a P body, Jazz neck, and P/J pickups and let me tell you, it will cost me easily 2.5 times more than that bass will cost you. (Of course, I'm doing all high end parts tho').