Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ Jazz bass special controls

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimfriar, Mar 24, 2005.

1. I bought an 85 Jazz special - some of the controls were a little funky - but the price was good. I know next to nothing about electronics except to solder a part in place. The bass has 3 knobs and 1 3 way switch. What should each control do ? It appears that someone added an active system - The first knob is the pull up type - when it is down - it is passive - when it is pulled up - it is active ( and won't work without a battery). The 3 way is disconnected from everything - the 2nd pot need to be replaced - it just keeps turning and the last pot doesn't seem to do anything.
    How should the electronics on this bass be ? I am going to replace it back to original - which I am assuming from things I have read that it was a passive bass originally. Any input would help.
    BTW - it plays great - and sounds good in passive mode !

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Jazz basses have 3 knobs, Volume Tone Tone.
    The switch seems to be an upgrade with the active preamp. The push pull system too.

Remove all and let the good old three buttons system.

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Does the configuration look like this?

4. No - mine doesn't have a mini switch.

5. I thought they were volume volume tone - with a volume for each pickup ?

6. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    My bass is an '86 MIJ Power Jazz Special

Volume, tone, tone

3-way is like a wierdo EQ blender

mini 2-way is a sort of active/passive switch, except it really isn't passive (sort of mimics the typical J pass passive tone)

7. Were the Jazz Bass Special passive ? Mine doesn't say Power Jazz on it anywhere.

8. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    head shot