Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ Jazz frettless neck on MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike88T, Jan 17, 2002.

1. anybody see a problem with that?

2. Buehler, Buehler?

3. I got GAS for a fretless but no Funds right now to get one so i was thinking about finding a fretless neck for My MIM Jazz as an alternative solution. Just so happen to find a fretless MIJ Jazz neck for sale and need to know if I can just bolt that right on my MIM Jazz with no problems.
    Any advice would be appreciated

4. Mike: So the neck should just bolt right in there huh?

Mike: well I am not sure but I think so.

Mike : good to know so I don't blow cash on something I can't use

mike: Yes that is good to know

Mike: well see ya around

Mike: Not if I see You first.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mike, I don't know the answer to your question. My gut instinct tells me that the neck would be a perfect fit. Almost every 4 string Fender's neck is interchangeable with any other Fender body.

It amazes me however, that nobody has replied. Somebody out there has to know the definitive answer on this.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I saw this but did not answer because I don't know, but I do know that with fretted necks the neck length should match the body set up. You could physically fit a 22 fret Jazz neck on a body intended for a 20 fret jazz neck, but you would not be able to get the correct intonation.

7. embellisher

I didn't think about that. Some of the imports do have more frets. Of course, since it is a fretless, it won't matter. But if it is lined, the lines will be in the wrong place.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have never seen an unlined fretless Fender neck.

9. embellisher

All of the old maple neck Precision fretlesses are unlined, and IIRC rosewood board MIJs are too.

10. although I like My answer Much better:D

But at least I can ask about that now, I didn't think of that either

Also I wonder if you would know what a fair price for the neck would be . With all the hardware tuners, truss rod of course.

Never Mind guys, I just got this info about the neck and I don't think I want to buy it now. Hard enough for me to learn to play fretless, without the setup problems this might bring .

"A few minor points to clear up... this is a standard jazz bass neck in all it's demsions. i.e. 2.5" at the heel of the fretboard. It is a second, thus the low opening bid. It's a second because it's a bit thin, and perfect action requires a small shim (most fender necks do) in the neck pocket. other than that it's perfect. unless you spend all playing time above the 14th fret, you'll never notice it."

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You are correct, of course, what I should have said was:
    Currently all fretless bass models (Fender) have fretlines. In the past Fender has made unlined fretless necks in both maple and rosewood.